Create a Shortcut "Double Clicking Middle Mouse Button"

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

John Hyslop
Premier Member

Create a Shortcut "Double Clicking Middle Mouse Button"

Post by John Hyslop » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:08 am

Hi All

Okay 1st this is not a game changer it's more of an old habit from using AutoCad the last 30 odd years :D
Well I'm hooked on Qcad and never going back but I still have a habit of double clicking the middle mouse button to Zoom All "Auto Zoom"
the shortcut is ZA but just wondering if it's possible to assign the mouse to this? I tried in the "enter new shortcut:" combobox but it doesn't recognize the middle mouse button double click... no big deal if this cannot be done but it would be nice if it could be :D

Cheers
John Hyslop
IF IT IS TO BE IT IS UP TO ME [ Ten most powerful 2 letter words ]

Sypher2012
Newbie Member

Re: Create a Shortcut "Double Clicking Middle Mouse Button"

Post by Sypher2012 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:11 pm

What mouse are you using? You might get better result from their software like Logitech for example. More customizable button that way.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:18 pm

John,

I'll back up what Sypher is saying about Logitech. The Logitech MX3 Anywhere mouse is designed for CAD and you can customize each button on an app-by-app basis. It's not the cheapest mouse but I hate using any other mouse now. I know that Microsoft also has a "Keyboard and Mouse Center" free app that supports similar features on some of their mice.

But if you don't already have a supported MS or Logitech mouse and you're not looking to buy a new one and you're running Windows, you could use the very popular AutoHotkey app to bind your mouse wheel press to the ZA command.

If you want to try this out and you're running windows:

Download AutoHotKey for free from https://www.autohotkey.com/
Right-click on your desktop and choose New>AutoHotKey Script from the context menu.
In the new text editor window that pops up, enter:

MButton::Send, ZA
return

Save your text file, then run that scrip file by double clicking on the icon it created.

You could throw this script in your startup folder so it runs every time you start your computer. There are also ways to have it run specifically when QCAD runs and reset when you exit QCAD. I don't remember how to do that from memory but I could look that up.

John Hyslop
Premier Member

Post by John Hyslop » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:45 am

Hi

1st Thank you both for the replies :)
2nd Apologies for not noting my operating system and qcad version :oops:
QCAD/CAM
Version: 3.27.1.0 (3.27.1)
Build Date: Dec 13 2021
Revision: 2726424
Qt Version: 5.8.0
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler: gcc 4.8.1
And.....
Linux Mint 20.3 [64bit]

I've downloaded "autohotkey" and I'll give it a shot in the next couple of days as I do also occasionally run Qcad in a Windows VM e_geek
I like to keep things simple as far a mouse goes I use a very basic "logitech" with no programming capabilities :(
Reason being I also run 3d Cad software and I've got a "3dconnexion" eg 3dmouse for that :)

I might have a google and see if there is an equivalent to "autohotkey" for linux but then again maybe I should just get into the habit of pressing ZA :) I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of it, old habits die hard... :cry:

Thanks again ..

Cheers
John Hyslop
IF IT IS TO BE IT IS UP TO ME [ Ten most powerful 2 letter words ]

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:06 am

It looks like there is a way to accomplish this in Linux as long as you’re using X11 as your display server.

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/11/ ... d.html?m=1

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”