[solved] Drawing input using subunits.

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

gwalter1
Newbie Member

[solved] Drawing input using subunits.

Post by gwalter1 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:02 pm

I want to do something like draw a line, by using the command to input the next point on the line. I see I can do this with the @X,Y format. I would like to do this with using the sub units , for example the next point is 10 feet, 4 an d 3/8" from the first point, or the next point is 120 meters, 15 centimeters and 47 millimeters from the first point.

What is the format to do this ?
Last edited by gwalter1 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Drawing input using subunits.

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:20 am

Common praxis in CAD is to work with "none" units.
A few CAD programs are able to work with different units like units used for imperial or metric formats. QCAD can do that too.
QCAD is also able to convert from one unit to an other but always works in one unit at a time.

This said - if you start a drawing in one unit, draw the lines in that unit, convert the drawing to an other unit and draw then in that converted unit - yes, that is doable.
You could also use mathematical expression as input. e.g you are working in inch and in need to put in 12 m then your input for the line should be 12000/25.4. But in the long run that sounds to me like a perfect recipe for disaster ...

May I ask you what you are trying to accomplish with this unusual approach?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

gwalter1
Newbie Member

Post by gwalter1 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:45 pm

I believe I did not state the issue clearly. I want to do the following :
1. Start a place line with 2 points.
2.id the first point by using a mouse click. Now the system expects a second point.
3.I want to use the keyin command to id the relative location of the second point from the fiorst. QCAD provides the @x,y keyin to do this, but it seems to only accept master unit values for the x and y. So I can use @10,0 to draw a horizontal line 10 units long.
4. I would like to place the second point at 10 ft 4 1/8" horizontally from the first point. I do not want to pull out the calculator and figure this out, each time. Can this be done with the @xy keyin or not ?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:17 pm

gwalter1 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:45 pm
4. I would like to place the second point at 10 ft 4 1/8" horizontally from the first point. I do not want to pull out the calculator and figure this out, each time. Can this be done with the @xy keyin or not ?
The command line accepts formats like: @10' 4 1/8",0
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

gwalter1
Newbie Member

Re: [solved] Drawing input using subunits.

Post by gwalter1 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:22 pm

Thanks.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”