User friendly way to batch import of DXF files into single model space

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Creight
Registered Member

User friendly way to batch import of DXF files into single model space

Post by Creight » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 am

Is there a simple way of selecting multiple dxf files in windows explorer and importing them into a single model space for editing?

Our task involves importing about 50 dxf files (with individual names) and making edits to the drawings before nesting them and saving them as a single DXF file for CNC.

We've looked at the merge option but adding individual lines of code for each dxf file in xml will take too long. Surely, there must be a simpler way.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: User friendly way to batch import of DXF files into single model space

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:58 pm

You cannot import multiple files at once since the position of each inserted drawing has to be specified somehow. You could drag each file from Windows Explorer into the drawing area and position it.

If this is something you have to do regularly, you might want to consider creating a script for this specific task. The drawings still need to be positioned somehow (either manually or through some kind of logic / algorithm).

Creight
Registered Member

Post by Creight » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Other apps manage to do it. When one imports/opens multiple dxf files the drawings appear in the drawing area in a horizontal line with spaces between them. Dragging and dropping will take ages.

I am sure others will appreciate this function but I'm not a coder unfortunately and have no idea how to create such a script. :?

Ricardo2022
Registered Member

Post by Ricardo2022 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi ,
I´m new in this forum , so excuse me if I´m not following any rule.
My question is related to this one, so I thought it would be better to keep the thread .
When you import a block or dxf the current script waits for an insertion point from the GUI ( A mouse click on the screen ) .
I couldn´t find on the Javascript documentation how to send this position from my own script .
Is it documented somewhere?

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:27 pm

Ricardo2022,

For scripting there is another forum.
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewforum.php?f=30
Ricardo2022 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:59 pm
When you import a block or dxf the current script waits for an insertion point from the GUI ( A mouse click on the screen ) .
I couldn´t find on the Javascript documentation how to send this position from my own script .
It would be better to re-post your question in the scripting area and add the code in question, or the specific code part.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”