Print layouts and blocks

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

AndrewMu
Registered Member

Re: Print layouts and blocks

Post by AndrewMu » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:01 am

Hi all,
Like Rob (and thanks Rob and others for the posts), I've also used QCAD for a few years on OS-X (11.6), using QCAD 3.27.6.0 (3.27.6) but struggled to understand how to include a border in a template.
I've managed to create a viewport in the default template, and get my drawing to appear in a scaled version in print preview, but despite reading and re-reading these posts and the QCAD manual, and trying to create the template, I have only managed to make the attached border 'template'. I can't for the life of me get the drawing I'm working on to appear on that template when I create a viewport.
I must be missing something fundamental in the logic of the process so would be grateful for any further guidance!
cheers
Andrew
Attachments
border template.dxf
(140.46 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:46 am

Hi AndrewMu,

your print template looks already pretty good. :wink:
AndrewMu wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:01 am
I've managed to create a viewport in the default template, and get my drawing to appear in a scaled version in print preview, but despite reading and re-reading these posts and the QCAD manual, and trying to create the template, I have only managed to make the attached border 'template'. I can't for the life of me get the drawing I'm working on to appear on that template when I create a viewport.
You may consider to change a few things like ...
Delete everything in Model_Space and Paper_Space. :shock:
Insert the Border etc. Blocks directly and at a 1:1 scale into a Paper_Space. Don't use for that a Viewport!

Your now empty Model_Space is your Worktable. Design your drawing in it in 1:1 - no matter how big or small your project is. If it comes to printing you need to take a Viewport in Model_Space and insert it into a Paper_Space. Your Border etc. is already waiting there for you - just chose a suitable scale for the Viewport and place it within the Border. Print the Paper_Space 1:1 regardless the used scales for the Viewport.

Hope it helps a bit to understand the procedure ....
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

AndrewMu
Registered Member

Post by AndrewMu » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:04 am

Ah .. many thanks Husky - that was indeed very helpful! I think I'm finally getting it .. I'm still refining my understanding, but that's helped me make a big leap forward.
Thanks again

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”