[solved] Block Attribute Scaling

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ryancousins
Premier Member

[solved] Block Attribute Scaling

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 am

I am working on creating an ARCH C (18" x 24") title block. Since my drawing units are feet and my paper units are inches, when I create my block in model space it is 18 x 24 feet, which makes sense. I thought I would then scale down the block upon insertion to my paper space by a factor of twelve by changing the scale of the block in the properties editor. However, when I do this the text for my block attributes does not scale down with the rest of the block. Is this expected behavior? My other option would be to divide the length of every part of geometry of my title block by twelve as I'm creating it to compensate for my drawing unit, which is certainly easy enough but seems like a less elegant solution. Perhaps there is a better way to handle this that I'm not thinking about?

QCAD 3.26.1 on Win10 Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Block Attribute Scaling

Post by Husky » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:08 am

I wonder if you could post the drawing as a dxf/dwg ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:09 pm

Here is the DXF.

I have a block attribute in the title block with a current string of "SEATING CHART", at 1/4" height. I am using the "Questrial" font which is not one that comes with Windows. If you go into the ARCH C paper space, you can see that attribute did not scale down with the rest of the block.
Attachments
CCA Seating.dxf
(725.35 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:55 pm

ryancousins wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 am
I am working on creating an ARCH C (18" x 24") title block. Since my drawing units are feet and my paper units are inches, when I create my block in model space it is 18 x 24 feet, which makes sense.
Not to me. :shock: I've a hard time to understand why the structure of the drawing has to be that complicated. I'm sure that is only me. :oops:
At the end of the day your Title block has to be printed 1:1. It is used in a Paper_Space which also should be printed 1:1. This said - what is the reason to draw then the Title block 18' x 24'? For what is this scale up - down - up exercise good? You lost me ... :lol:

Back to topic:
ryancousins wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:09 pm
I have a block attribute in the title block with a current string of "SEATING CHART", at 1/4" height.
??? 1/4 inch? It looks to me 1/4 foot. And I'm not sure what happened regarding the position here ....

Husky-2021.03.11-01.png
Husky-2021.03.11-01.png (54.54 KiB) Viewed 5443 times
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 pm

When I said it made sense, I didn't mean it made sense to draw it 18' by 24' by preference, as much as I meant it made sense that entering 18 x 24 would yield 18 feet by 24 feet since my drawing unit is in feet for this drawing. I would agree it would make more sense to just make the block in paper size, but when I try to override the drawing unit by entering 18" and 24", etc., when creating the title block, it seems to ignore the inch symbol I entered, which made me assume that this was not a feature and I was forced to use the drawing unit. This would mean I'd have to enter all of my sizes as "size/12" (or just do the math on my own before hand.) I wish I could enter the " symbol for inches and have it override the feet but that doesn't seem to work. So at that point I figured it'd be easier to draw it without having to divide each component by 12 and then simply scale it down in one shot at the end.

As far as the block attribute, I entered it as "1/4" when creating it but it made it 1/4 foot, which I suppose makes sense as the drawing unit is feet? But the bigger issue was that it didn't scale down when I scaled the block down. I wondered if that was a bug or just the way attributes were designed? Should attributes scale or is their size fixed? The rest of the geometry and plain text in the block scaled down properly when I entered a 1/12 in the X and Y scale fields in the properties editor, but the attribute text stayed at it's original size.

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:19 pm

ryancousins wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 pm
But the bigger issue was that it didn't scale down when I scaled the block down. I wondered if that was a bug or just the way attributes were designed?
This is part of my confusion - there is no Attribute in the block "Title Block". And if you don't have one in Title Block why it should scale with that block?

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:41 pm

there is no Attribute in the block "Title Block"
There is an attribute on my end.
Attachments
attribute.png
attribute.png (70.83 KiB) Viewed 5421 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:18 am

You are right.

I've massive problems with the behavior of this drawing on my Win10 maschine. That doesn't means you did something wrong!

One thing is a problem with the zoom. QCAD isn't rendering the text correctly. In certain zoom level the text disappears. That wasn't the case with previos versions!

Do you have the same effect?

QCAD zoom issue.gif
QCAD zoom issue.gif (314.8 KiB) Viewed 5417 times

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:25 am

In certain zoom level the text disappears.
Yes, that is happening to me also. I posted about that earlier today in a separate thread. My post was actually about the numbers along the ruler appearing and disappearing, but yes the text in my drawing is doing this, too.
https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8237

I mentioned in that thread that this DXF is several years old and was originally created with LibreCAD. I don't know if that caused something weird in the DXF or not. I don't see how that could cause the issue with the numbers disappearing, but it does seem like there is something strange about this particular file.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:36 am

ryancousins wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:25 am
I mentioned in that thread that this DXF is several years old and was originally created with LibreCAD. I don't know if that caused something weird in the DXF or not. I don't see how that could cause the issue with the numbers disappearing, but it does seem like there is something strange about this particular file.
No, I don't think so. It looks like the current QCAD version has a problem with that!
Same drawing zoomed in and out in 3.20.0.0 doesn't show this effect - works just fine.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:40 am

@Andrew

Is this zoom issue related to the ruler issue?

https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8237

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:17 am

@ryancousins

... the Attribute scaling issue:

Try after scaling to synchronize the Attributes: Menu / Block / Attribute / Synchronize Attribute

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:13 pm

Try after scaling to synchronize the Attributes: Menu / Block / Attribute / Synchronize Attribute
Thanks Husky, that did the trick! I can't believe I totally forgot that was a thing.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”