Setting up Layouts - From a Newbie (Solved)

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

seasdes

Setting up Layouts - From a Newbie (Solved)

Post by seasdes » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:53 am

As a newbie to QCAD I have been struggling with setting up Layouts and the Viewport contents. I think there is some good news for me though.

After reading many posts, tutorials and watching videos, I have arrived at the following methodology that allows me to do this:
1. Create a layer called Viewport. Reading on the forum reveals that the Viewport layer has to be manually created.
2. Right click mouse on Layout 1 (*Paper_Space) in the Block List.
3. Select Add Layout Block. This step creates a new Layout (Paper Space). Then set the page size and orientation and set Paper Scale to 1:1.
4. Activate the model space by Left clicking mouse on Model (*Model_Space) in the Block List. This takes you back to the model space.
5. Toggle on/off the required layers in the Layer List.
6. Create a Viewport to insert into the new Layout by Draw>Viewport>Add Viewport. Left click on the first corner of the Viewport the left click on the second corner.
7. Select the destination Layout in the pop-up window.
8. Position the Viewport in the Layout destination that you have selected.
9. Enter the scale for the Viewport that has just been placed on the Layout. I enter 0.01 for a 1:100 scale Viewport.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable than me could correct me if I have made an incorrect methodology.

Also, do users out there enter any information on layouts (say text, dimensions, linework) other than the Viewports.
Last edited by seasdes on Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Setting up Layouts - From a Newbie

Post by Husky » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:04 am

That looks already pretty good!

Not much to change / add ... :wink:

seasdes wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:53 am
3. Select Add Layout Block. This step creates a new Layout (Paper Space). Then set the page size and orientation and set Paper Scale to 1:1.
3. Select Add Layout Block. This step creates a new Layout (Paper Space).
3.1 Left click on the new created Layout Block. Then right click, Edit Block, set the page size and orientation and set Paper Scale to 1:1.

seasdes wrote:
5. Toggle on/off the required layers in the Layer List.
Just a visual test - has no effect on the settings

seasdes wrote:
Also, do users out there enter any information on layouts (say text, dimensions, linework) other than the Viewports.
Yes, that could be ...
- Text like Drawing Unit, Drawing scale, Detail info like "Detail A, scale 1:100", etc.
- Dimension. Leader etc.. I recommend not to mix dimension information in Model- AND Paper_Space.
- General information, comments, etc.
- Paper Border, Title Block, Logo etc.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:15 am

Thanks for your prompt and useful reply Husky.
The "Toggle on/off the required layers in the Layer List." was meant as a prompt to ensure that the layers to be included in the Viewport are switched on.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:56 pm

It sounds like you have a good handle on things.

I would note that you don't have to create a layer called viewport, but it probably makes good sense. You could choose to have your viewport belong to any other layer, but for instance, if you just put your viewport in the same layer that you made your regular linework in, you would be forced to see the viewport rectangle in your output print/pdf. Giving it it's own layer allows you to hide it from the final output independently, but if you want that rectangle to remain in your final print, you don't necessarily have to create a separate layer for it.

There should already be one layout block in a new drawing by default, I think? At least it was always that way for me. So if you only need one paper size or layout, you might not have to create a new layout block, and just modify the one that is already there?

One other thing, instead of choosing add viewport while in model space, you also have the option of first going into your paper space (layout block) and then choosing to add viewport. This will automatically switch you back over to model space where you can select your viewport area. It will then switch you automatically back into the layout block you were already in, ready for you to place the viewport. That way, you don't have to deal with the pop-up menu asking which layout block to place it in. Just two different ways of doing things.

I don't know if there are any definite rules for placing things in viewports v just placing them in manually. In my opinion, anything that you want to re use either in other drawings or in other paper layouts should be it's own block outside of the drawing you've made in model space. That way it's a reusable component. Also, it would be easier to control the scale independently of the main drawing you're bringing over with the viewport. I would dimension in model space and bring that in with the viewport rather than add dimensions separately in the layout block. Dimensions that are created outside of the viewport will not scale with the main drawing inside the viewport and instead will show measurements based on the size of the paper of your layout.

seasdes

Re: Setting up Layouts - From a Newbie (Solved)

Post by seasdes » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:44 am

Thanks ryancousins
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:50 am

I have amended the Setting Up Layouts methodology to add more clarity for me. May not wok for you.

1. Ensure that all layers to be printed are displayed when printing multiple pages. Otherwise only 1 Paper Space should be set up at a time.

2. Create a layer called Viewport. Reading on the forum reveals that the Viewport layer has to be manually created. Set the Viewport layer to Non Print so that the viewport border does not print.

3. Adjust settings in "Defaults For New Drawings" & "Drawing Preferences" as follows:
a. When printing multiple pages, set the number of pages Eg for 10 pages use 1 column & 10 rows. Could also be 10 columns & 1 row or any other combination.
b. Set "Glue Margins" to the required distance. For now I will set margins to 0 for PDF prints.
c. Printing - Page setting
i. Orientation = Landscape
ii. Viewport Scale = 1:1
iii. Show Paper borders - Untick

4. Right click mouse on Layout 1 (*Paper_Space) in the Block List. Select Add Layout Block. This step creates a new Layout (Paper Space). Then set the page size and orientation and set Drawing Scale to 1:1.

5. Activate the model space by Left clicking mouse on Model (*Model_Space) in the Block List. This takes you back to the model space.

6. Toggle on/off the required layers in the Layer List.

7. Create a Viewport to insert into the new Layout by "Draw>Viewport>Add Viewport". Set "Scale pasted entities by this factor" to 1 in the "Scale" dropdown (top LH of toolbar). Left click on the first corner of the Viewport the left click on the second corner.

8. Select the destination Layout in the Paper Space window that opens up. In this window set the Drawing Scale (top LH of toolbar) to 1:1 and "Scale posted entities to the required printing scale" (top RH of toolbar) Eg use 0.01 for 1:100 scale.

9. Select each viewport and place on Viewport layer.

10. You may get better / smaller file size PDF if you print with a PDF driver rather than use QCAD PDF.

11. Position the Viewport in the Layout destination that you have selected.

12. Enter the scale for the Viewport that has just been placed on the Layout. I enter 0.01 for a 1:100 scale Viewport.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

PatchworkFez
Registered Member

Post by PatchworkFez » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:04 pm

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing this all.

I've been trying to convert some old DWG files (which is at least a step up from the ancient .MCD files I had the other month) into legible PDFs and just couldn't work out the viewport/paper space connection until I read through this. Now it's working perfectly—many thanks!

seasdes

Post by seasdes » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:10 pm

Glad you found this thread useful.
seasdes
QCAD Pro V3.27.8
User since 2021
W10

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”