keep frame of an object constant (SOLVED)

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

vettawindows

Re: keep frame of an object constant

Post by vettawindows » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:31 pm

Attached is the before and after.
Left ones are 1030mm and right are 1130mm
Attachments
Jagienka Thermo Max Glass-1.dwg
(467.78 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

Markz

Post by Markz » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:11 pm

vettawindows wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:31 pm
Attached is the before and after.
Left ones are 1030mm and right are 1130mm
The first drawing you presented had a working paper space with dimensions. This drawing doesn't (or at least I don't see anything in them :? ) . Are you expecting modifications inside paperspace, or will that not matter?

vettawindows

Post by vettawindows » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:11 pm

Hi

Not really important. At the end of the day, we will be printing to a PDF on ANSI letter or A4.

Thanks
Alec

Markz

Post by Markz » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:27 pm

Here's the way that I did it. I don't claim that it is the way to do it, or even the best way. It will be interesting to see what others say.

The way I'm doing it here avoids using the command line, though I personally find the command line easier.

First, make sure you are using auto-snap (SA). Zoom out so you can see your entire door. Use the stretch tool (SS) and "lasso" everything that needs to included in the stretch, including the sideview of the door. Then set the reference point. Here I'm using the top right corner of the door. This image shows the SS selection and the intersection:

Now you need to set the target point. This will be 100 mm to the right of the reference point. Go over to the toolbar and select the distance snap (or use SD):

Now look at the top right hand side of QCAD. There is an option box to set the distance. Put minus 100 in the box (It is minus because we are going OFF the line) :

Now hover just a little to the left of the intersection point you set earlier. A target point should appear 100 mm off to the right. Left click to complete.

Escape out of the Stretch tool. Verify that the stretch has occurred correctly. Reset your snap to AUTO (SA).

Repeat the process on the 2nd (inward) doorway.

Note 1 -- if you positioned the inward/outward doorways above each other, you could do it all with one stretch.

Note 2 -- If your lines along the topview don't stretch correctly, you may need to flatten the drawing to 2D and try again. That's what happened in the first drawing you presented.

Note 3 -- If negative numbers are too confusing for your non-technical people, you could set the intersection at the upper LEFT hand side of the door, and then use a positive (100) distance in the distance box.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:04 am

In addition to Markz suggestion I would only try to make it bullet proof for the mentioned "non technical people". For that reason I draw a yellow line in Model_Space, a few dim's to have a reference to what is going on regarding the targeted measurements and a layout block for the print job. The yellow line and text hints can stay in Model_Space - printing is disabled for this layer.

How to change the door width?
launch SS
pick end points 1, 2, 3, (2 and 3 are the same Point!)

Husky-2021.02.02-01.png
Husky-2021.02.02-01.png (22.52 KiB) Viewed 4281 times

launch coordinate,
enter x=100 (or 1130-1030), y=0, confirm,
switch to layout block, print ;-)

Husky-2021.02.02-04.png
Husky-2021.02.02-04.png (20.47 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

vettawindows

Post by vettawindows » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:44 am

Wow, huge kudos to both of you, Husky and Markz!!!
I would say SOLVED, but maybe we should see if anyone else wishes to contribute?

Thanks so much!
Alec

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”