[Solved]Block Reference color override

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

ryancousins
Premier Member

[Solved]Block Reference color override

Post by ryancousins » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 pm

I'm running QCAD 3.25.2.7 on Win10.

I almost never apply a color to any part of my drawings directly and always rely on the layer colors, but I have a special case where I wanted to manually assert a different color for a particular block reference, however, when I select that block reference and change the color in the property editor, I do not see a change. I can edit the block itself and change the color and my reference will match, but this was not the way I was hoping to make the change. It looks like I either have to do this or explode the reference to change the color? I suppose it makes sense, a reference can not have it's own color separate from the master block?
Last edited by ryancousins on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Block Reference color overide

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Please use the color "By Block" for those entities in your block that should have their color assigned on a block reference basis.

Please refer also to:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-layers-blo ... attributes

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Block Reference color overide

Post by ryancousins » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:34 pm

Okay, thank you this makes sense now. I was thinking through this in reverse as I was thinking the "by block" option meant you would select that within one or more references, telling them to follow the same color of their original definition instead of the layer the reference(s) reside on, which if it worked that way it wouldn't achieve what I was after. Instead, you set the definition itself as "by block".

Thanks Andrew!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”