dxf and font files (names) - compatibility with other dxf/cad applications

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

p8mode
Registered Member

dxf and font files (names) - compatibility with other dxf/cad applications

Post by p8mode » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Hello.

If I understand correctly dxf allows for the specification of a font file name in the dxf attribute "font"
(see eg http://help.autodesk.com/view/OARX/2018 ... 6CE66C8FC9)

Attached is a simple dxf file (simple_text_1.dxf) containing 3 text items, each with a different "font" attrribute specified.
If I open it in QCad I see indeed the font file names "arial.tff" I had specified when creating the dxf (independently of QCad) etc. I would presume that QCad would search the standard system locations (in my case windows 10, the c:\windows\fonts dir) for the specified font files and apply them to the appearance of the text elements. However it seems not to do this. I can instead select "Arial" (which is not in my QCad fonts dir and should therefore correspond to the system arial.ttf file right?), the appearance of the selected text changes, showing me that it was not actually using the same font (ie arial.ttf is not a reference to "Arial" in the QCad dropdown menu. What does "Arial" drop down menu item correspond to then, its its the not the system Arial font and its not a font shipped wit QCad?)

Similarly if I choose a font name such as "Arial" in the QCad dropdown menu and then save the dxf file, I see that the dxf font attribute is blank in the file produced (simple_dxf_file_2.dxf)

Is my understanding wrong? How can I get QCad to export/import dxf files in a way that compatible to (also editing with) other applications, and the dxf standard. I would like to be able export drawings from qcad where text has fonts applied, import these in a different application and know the applied font, and vice versa

Thanks in Advance.
Attachments
simple_text_2.dxf
(100.44 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
simple_text_1.dxf
(18.56 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: dxf and font files (names) - compatibility with other dxf/cad applications

Post by andrew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:33 pm

p8mode wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:24 pm
How can I get QCad to export/import dxf files in a way that compatible to (also editing with) other applications, and the dxf standard.
That should be that case. If not, please indicate which other CAD application you are using, attach files, indicate your system, etc.

p8mode
Registered Member

Re: dxf and font files (names) - compatibility with other dxf/cad applications

Post by p8mode » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:04 am

Hello.

I am for example using the python library ezdxf https://pypi.org/project/ezdxf/
I have already attached relevant files, one (simple_text_2.dxf) created by QCad and the other (simple_text_1.dxf) by ezdxf. In the former one can see (even by looking at the file in a text editor that the dxf ("font") attribute I mentioned is missing, and that in the latter it is not. And again as I said when I import the latter into QCad it shows the attribute "arial.ttf" as the font but doesnt apply the font to the displayed text.

Im currently using windows 10

Best Wishes.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”