Agonizingly Slow Redraw

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Tango

Agonizingly Slow Redraw

Post by Tango » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:52 am

I'm using macOS, QCAD PRo 3.24.3.0 (3.24.3).

I have a plat of my property that came from a survey firm I hired. I've added a Layout Block and two viewports so I can easily print out an overall view of my property with an insert (made from a 2nd viewport) showing a closeup of the area where I'm doing renovation work.

Redraw is not exactly fast when I am working in model space, but when I go to the Layout Block, I have problems. It can take minutes to redraw.

There are a number of issues that I think could be causing the redraw issues:

1. I question the work of the survey firm. When dealing with the county for permits and wetland issues I have had to, on several occasions, call the head of the local branch of the survey firm and demand changes be made due to the inaccuracy of their work. (The local VP refused, but when I talked to the head of the firm, in another city, he felt strongly that I was wright about the errors.) So they are inaccurate (like marking a 170' concrete pad as 85' long!) and have made drafting mistakes. I'm wondering if they could have screwed up with this data in some way that would slow rendering down.

2. The plat seems to have been taken from a huge file of the entire county. My reason for this is that the only thing in the file is my lot and what's on it and a few surrounding items, such as a roadway, but the plat is about 170000' x 300000' from the origin in the file. I can't find an other objects in the drawing, even when I zoom out extremely far with all layers visible. Could the distance force QCAD to create a large canvas to work on or could there be, somehow, data from objects I can't see that could still slow rendering?

3. There are a large number of layers in this file, although many seem to be empty.

Also worth noting that, due to the extreme offset of the objects in the model space, I've had issues with the location of the paper in the Layout Block. When I first set it up, I had to do a lot of zooming in and out to get the paper and anything else visible. While I can't remember exactly what was wrong, I think QCAD was automatically putting the paper near the data in the file (so far from the origin) and I'd have to move it to the origin (where the block was centered). I may misremember, but I did have to move the paper position quite a distance to make it work for the Layout Block.

A few days later I reloaded the file and, again, had that same issue - the paper page was nowhere near the area in the Layout Block where I wanted to print.

What is most likely slowing down the rendering? Is it more likely the distance from origin forcing a large canvas? Is it the extra layers in the way? Could there be extraneous data I don't see that the survey company left in the file? I'd like to just move the objects and all involved to close to the origin, but since I did not create this file, I want to be sure there are no hidden "gotchas" that could create issues later if I do that.

petevick
Premier Member

Re: Agonizingly Slow Redraw

Post by petevick » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 am

Is it possible for you to attach the drawing file in question ?
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

Tango

Post by Tango » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm

petevick wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 am
Is it possible for you to attach the drawing file in question ?
I had to check on this. (I think I've run into this situation before, with this same data, but I don't remember where - maybe even here.) While the data is originally from the county, it has a lot of markings done by the survey firm that did a fair amount of work for us in things like defining the actual wetlands boundaries and the RPA (Resource Preservation Area - a legal boundary around the wetlands).

Is it possible to send files like this through PM on this forum? I can't publish it to the board, but I can share it with one or two people, provided they state they will not distribute it.

Also, since I wrote my first post, I modified the file by moving the plat data to the origin. I don't have problems in model space, but the redraw in the paper spaces with viewports is still glacial.

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Tango wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm
......Is it possible to send files like this through PM on this forum? I can't publish it to the board, but I can share it with one or two people, provided they state they will not distribute it.......
unfortunately, you'll have to wait and see if Andrew (admin) see's this for an answer
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:22 pm

Tango wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 pm
Is it possible to send files like this through PM on this forum?
Yes but there are size restrictions.

Note: Every drawing which is send to an Admin or Moderator on this forum will be handled as confidential material. We will never share it with other people without the permission of the owner of that particular material.

If you like to send it to my PM I'll try to figure out what is going on ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”