MIrror a block with text in it

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

RaNoPlus

Re: MIrror a block with text in it

Post by RaNoPlus » Thu May 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Husky wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:58 am
RaNoPlus wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:09 am
It means the arrows and dots are on the another place. Also the texts in the hexagons are moved. So it means I'll have to 'repair' this anyway. But it's good to see that this version of Qcad works with block- texts as I expect.
Have a close look at the single blocks. It looks to me that you can "repair" a lot with just editing the blocks. Correct the text reference, position the text correctly and get rid of this block in block situation (the red "dot" is a block with a "funny" reference point and ruins the correct positioning of that main block).
Yes, that's what I have also been thinking. The blocks are really 'strange' with stupid reference points. I hope I can fix it by repairing the blocks. Thank you for your help.

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Fri May 08, 2020 7:51 am

Husky wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:58 am
RaNoPlus wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:09 am
It means the arrows and dots are on the another place. Also the texts in the hexagons are moved. So it means I'll have to 'repair' this anyway. But it's good to see that this version of Qcad works with block- texts as I expect.
Have a close look at the single blocks. It looks to me that you can "repair" a lot with just editing the blocks. Correct the text reference, position the text correctly and get rid of this block in block situation (the red "dot" is a block with a "funny" reference point and ruins the correct positioning of that main block).
I have repaired the blocks and it seems to be good now. Many thanks to you guys (Andrew & Husky). The 3.24 version saved me a lot of work :D
I hope you will fix the newest version of issue an update to fix this.
Regards Radek

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 am

Hi Guys,
Because of other issue I received a link to the newest snapshot version. That other issue works there fine but this issue (mirroring of the txt in an block) is stil not working correctly in that newest version. The texts are still mirrored in mirrored blocks.
I don't know if you fixed mirroring of the block- text in the newest snapshot- version. Maybe you were focused on other things but I just mail you to tell you this.
Regards
Radek

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:22 am

RaNoPlus wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 am
The texts are still mirrored in mirrored blocks.
Sorry for this apparent misunderstanding. This is in fact correct and intended behaviour in line with other CAD applications and the DXF/DWG specification: if a block is mirrored, its graphical representation is mirrored, making texts unreadable indeed.

For texts that are not in blocks, a user preference is provided to either mirror texts or keep them readable:
Edit > Drawing Preferences > General > Text > Mirror simple text

Older QCAD versions did behave differently and an option might be available at one point to mimic the old (wrong) behaviour. This is tricky though and not a priority at the moment. If you need to mirror blocks, its typically best to create two different blocks with mirrored contents. A mirrored block might be used inside those blocks for the contents without texts.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:58 pm

andrew wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:22 am
For texts that are not in blocks, a user preference is provided to either mirror texts or keep them readable:
That explains the bug report recommendation "a new block should be created with the mirrored contents."
Since then I was wondering how to mirror text ... :oops:
Came up with X scale -1, what works for multi-Text too.
But none for Y ...
Or Explode - Mirror - solid Hatch ...
And none for Dims ...
Exploded, Dims will loose their references ...

:?:
And that is available since ...
And that is global when mirroring simple text ...
What with multi texts or Dims with tolerance?

Regards,
CVH

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm

andrew wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:22 am
RaNoPlus wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:08 am
The texts are still mirrored in mirrored blocks.
Sorry for this apparent misunderstanding. This is in fact correct and intended behaviour in line with other CAD applications and the DXF/DWG specification: if a block is mirrored, its graphical representation is mirrored, making texts unreadable indeed.

Older QCAD versions did behave differently and an option might be available at one point to mimic the old (wrong) behaviour. This is tricky though and not a priority at the moment. If you need to mirror blocks, its typically best to create two different blocks with mirrored contents. A mirrored block might be used inside those blocks for the contents without texts.
Well I thought this was normal behavior of a CAD drawing as I always did it this way in AutoCAD, ProgeCAD and Draft Sight.
Other thing is that I don't see any logica in making several same blocks to have mirrored or rotated versions of 1. Like a normal door for example. But thank you anyway for the quick reply. I'll keep the 3.23 version to be sure this works in a way I like it

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:56 am

RaNoPlus wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm
Well I thought this was normal behavior of a CAD drawing as I always did it this way in AutoCAD, ProgeCAD and Draft Sight.
I'm unable to mirror a block without mirroring its text in either Autocad or Draftsight. You'd have to use an attribute to achieve that (you can also do that in QCAD).

See:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad- ... -p/7167253
https://www.google.com/search?q=autocad ... block+text

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:49 am

CVH wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:58 pm
Since then, I was wondering how to mirror text ...
Left unanswered ...
andrew wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:45 pm
A block is essentially rendered through a transformation matrix (applying the rotation, scale and translation).
Being the advocat of correct non-uniform scaling I am very pleased with that.
A transformation matrix is all the proper math at once instead of all the
'If's, IfNOT's, scale x, scale y, exclude this or that' in the transformation scripts.

IMHO: if I say 'mirror' then I want the mirrored image.
For 2D: The 1:1 reflection like when you would hold a printout in a parallel plane before a plain mirror.
For 3D: I can hold my printout in a none parallel plane. Or the mirror is.
Morphing: I can use more then one mirror, not limited to a plain mirror.
So mirror it!

The same questions can be asked for Block angles.
Q: would I prefer to read upside down with a 180° rotation? Or would I like it 'readable' :?:
Rotated should be the answer but it looks odd.
And what with the angle of dimension texts?
Readable off course.
So it all boil down to preferences ...
Some of them are preset by the 'common' art.
Common can also be a 'bad habit' or 'outdated' or 'compatible'.

Still looking for a way to mirror text in Y to create my mirrored Block clone ... :oops:

Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RaNoPlus

Post by RaNoPlus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:01 am

andrew wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:56 am
RaNoPlus wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm
I'm unable to mirror a block without mirroring its text in either Autocad or Draftsight. You'd have to use an attribute to achieve that (you can also do that in QCAD).

See:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad- ... -p/7167253
https://www.google.com/search?q=autocad ... block+text
Ok you are right. If it's an attribute it's possible. A block such as a door is block & attribute text.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Since then I was wondering how to mirror text ...
CVH: From 3.24.3.9, you can mirror simple texts if preference Edit > Drawing Preferences > General > Text > Mirror simple text is checked.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”