Dimensions displayed

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

SerPat

Re: Dimensions displayed

Post by SerPat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:27 pm

Hello Husky,

I believe, but I'm not 100% sure, that the beginning of my "difficulties" happened when I copied a portion of a layer on an existing block, to complete it. However, I do not see how a "copy-paste" could have caused such an angle. Note that the "line" of the previously joined 'dxf' is one of fifty, copied and pasted.

There are two questions:
a) how is this "error" produced?
b) how to warn the user of the possible existence of such a "problem".
Reply to b) seems much simpler than answering a)!

My drawings represent objects of the order of 500x500 mm, and the most "voluntary" placements are at 1/2 mm.

I find you at the limit of the bad liver (unfair): the display is incorrect, and for me, it is without appeal. Physicists know that these dimensions are mathematical because they know that physically, the equalities (as conceived by the mathematician) does not exist.

If you are a member of the development team, I suggest you discuss this with the rest of the team.

The purpose of the XxxxxOffice software is not at all the same as that of QCad, but I never wanted to give them a donation because there have always been many small problems including these positioning and display problems dimensions. However, this was not the case with QCad, which has left me until now, an impression of professionalism.

The development team has to do something: buttons, alerts, dialogues that ask the user what is the targeted accuracy of his "placements" (copy and paste without reference will generate problems) and alert if necessary. It's up to you to find the way to report and / or fix this problem. An alert (optional) when a "paste" gives strange things like that, maybe?

An example for programmers: whenever the decimal representation of a number has "M" consecutive decimals in "9" or "0" starting from the "N" th decimal place, N and M being adjustable by the user, the display of it would (optionaly) be in a color other than black (magenta, for example, red being used for syntax errors) and in bold (?). This would alert the user and seems relatively easy to implement.

I hope nobody will want to let this problem rot.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”