Help importing a DXF

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

matt____jackson

Help importing a DXF

Post by matt____jackson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:05 am

I'm trying to import a DXF I've been sent (it's a Mercedes vehicle, I need to then put our bodywork onto the back of it). I open it with QCAD but then QCAD slow's to almost a standstill and so I can't use it - e.g. it takes it 10 seconds just to zoom out etc.

I've attached the file for reference. Am I doing something wrong?

Latest version of QCAD and on MacOS.
Attachments
Mercedes Sample.DXF
(15.94 MiB) Downloaded 385 times
QCAD-Pro v3.22.1 on MacOS.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Help importing a DXF

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:47 am

This drawing contains thousands of splines of degree 4 and higher. Such splines are extremely rare and unfortunately cannot be handled efficiently by QCAD. Quadratic and cubic splines are handled more efficiently.

I've attached the drawing with all splines of degree 4 and higher converted to splines of degree 3, so you can compare. It's still a complex drawing (maybe to complex for QCAD) but should perform better than the original.
Attachments
Mercedes Sample_spline_3.DXF
(15.28 MiB) Downloaded 399 times

matt____jackson

Post by matt____jackson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:47 pm

andrew wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:47 am
This drawing contains thousands of splines of degree 4 and higher. Such splines are extremely rare and unfortunately cannot be handled efficiently by QCAD. Quadratic and cubic splines are handled more efficiently.

I've attached the drawing with all splines of degree 4 and higher converted to splines of degree 3, so you can compare. It's still a complex drawing (maybe to complex for QCAD) but should perform better than the original.
Thanks for that. Just tried it and it still goes very very slow. Is there any way of me converting the file or something into a format that would be useable? Would it perhaps work if I imported it as an image? I don't need to modify it at all, just put my bodywork on the back of it.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Perhaps, you can extract the reference points or geometry that you need for your work into a separate drawing and then work with that.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Hi,

this manufacture drawing is to show you all available standard variables - you need only one of them, correct? :wink:

As Andrew already mentioned - get rid of everything you don't need and reduce it to e.g. one front, top and side view. Use the clipboard to transfer it into a new drawing which has then to be saved under a new file name.

I don't know your goals but when I worked on drawings like this (last century ... :D ) I was mostly able to reduce it just to the side view and redistributed necessary other views on extra drawings.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

matt____jackson

Post by matt____jackson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Husky wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 pm
Hi,

this manufacture drawing is to show you all available standard variables - you need only one of them, correct? :wink:

As Andrew already mentioned - get rid of everything you don't need and reduce it to e.g. one front, top and side view. Use the clipboard to transfer it into a new drawing which has then to be saved under a new file name.

I don't know your goals but when I worked on drawings like this (last century ... :D ) I was mostly able to reduce it just to the side view and redistributed necessary other views on extra drawings.
Ah that makes sense actually, I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”