Keeping layer visibility settings in views?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

johan162

Keeping layer visibility settings in views?

Post by johan162 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Is it possible to have views not only store the a position and zoom-factor but also layer setting, specifically which layers are visible?

What am I trying to do?

In a medium complex drawing it's way too much details to have all layers in my drawing visible at once. I also want to have only one model and prefer to avoid creating copies to avoid duplication of work and risk inconsistency. So i would like to create a number of views with selected layers visible (that makes sense for the purpose of the view) and assign the views to different layout blocks (using view-ports) in paper-space. This also means that view-ports would have to be aware of what view they are displaying (if any besides the standard-view).

Is there any functionality (I'm using the "pro" version) that I haven't discovered that would help me achieve this?

(If not - then this functionality would be a good candidate for future versions :wink: )

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Keeping layer visibility settings in views?

Post by Husky » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 pm

johan162 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:28 pm
Is it possible to have views not only store the a position and zoom-factor but also layer setting, specifically which layers are visible?
Nope - not in the current QCAD Version.
However - you can already create particular views and different Layer States BUT there is no connection between those two function. If you choose a view in the View List you have to activate the matching layer state manually.
BTW: Views and Layer States are saved with the drawing and still available after reopen a drawing.

johan162 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:28 pm
(If not - then this functionality would be a good candidate for future versions :wink: )
Please feel free to file a feature request :wink:
https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”