Symbols

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

simonbolton
Newbie Member

Symbols

Post by simonbolton » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:45 am

I apologise for asking what is probably a well oiled subject but I am new to QCAD (Previous on turbocad which did not like my Mac).
I want some architectural symbols but cannot stump up the big sums. I tried to download some from the net which sort of successful but I could not load them. Probably me being dumb but would appreciate a Janet and John answer to the whole procedure.
Many thanks
Simon

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Symbols

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:10 am

Please refer to our part library tutorial at:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... rt-library

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post back here. Please indicate what exactly the problem is, what error message you are getting, etc.

simonbolton
Newbie Member

Post by simonbolton » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks for quick reply. Yes I had read this page and I have downloaded a number of files(doors, baths etc)from CadBlocks.net and even converted to zip but they just languish in my downloads. When I open one it appears on QCAD but I cannot drag and drop into the Library browser widget. I am being dim I know but I blame age! Help.
Many thanks
Simon

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 am

simonbolton wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:16 pm
and even converted to zip
What you need is a folder with DXF or DWG files, not a ZIP file. Downloads sometimes come as ZIP file which would then need to be extracted to get to a state with folders and DXF/DWG files.
simonbolton wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:16 pm
When I open one it appears on QCAD but I cannot drag and drop into the Library browser widget.
That would be the wrong way around. You can drag parts from the part library into a drawing, not the opposite way.

If you find setting up the library browser difficult, you can simply grab any DXF/DWG file with the mouse in your file explorer and drag it into the drawing are to insert it.

simonbolton
Newbie Member

Post by simonbolton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi Andrew
Great and thanks. Dim but slowly getting there.Think my problem is that I am so used to Turbocad some of the procedures are just frustratingly different.
Current dilemmas.
Where are double lines?
Chapter 10 -Window box selection.
eg window select say two lines. In Turbocad when selected you can change length of both at the same time as if they are a rectangle.
Would appreciate your comments
Thanks
Simon

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:39 am

Please post separate questions to a separate topic to make it easier to discuss and later find them, thanks.
simonbolton wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:15 pm
Where are double lines?
QCAD has not tool to make double lines (if by that you mean drawing multiple parallel lines at once.
There is a parallel (offset) tool which works on single lines or multiple connected lines as well as polylines: Modify > Offset
simonbolton wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:15 pm
eg window select say two lines. In Turbocad when selected you can change length of both at the same time as if they are a rectangle.
You'd typically use Modify > Stretch for that.

simonbolton
Newbie Member

Magnification

Post by simonbolton » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks Andrew
Now getting the hang of it now and its proving to be an ideal drawing package. Is there any way to 'fix' the image whilst working to stop the random increase/decrease of magnification?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:26 pm

The zoom only changes if the mouse wheel is used. I do know from my oen experience that the Apple magic mouse is extremely sensitive. Perhaps not the best mouse for precise work.

simonbolton
Newbie Member

Post by simonbolton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Correct. Will have to find another. Anyone with any recommendations?

Thanks Andrew

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 am

I'd recommend a three button mouse with mouse wheel as QCAD uses the right mouse button to go one step back, the middle mouse button for panning and the mouse wheel for zooming.

simonbolton
Newbie Member

Hatching

Post by simonbolton » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Mouse bought and problem solved. Thanks.
When trying to hatch, the selection always seems to have an open section at a certain ref point even when it is a simple rectangle(drawn as a rectangle not a line) within a drawing. What am I missing?
Cheers
Simon

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:43 pm

Please post separate questions to a separate topic to make it easier to discuss and later find them, thanks.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”