Extending a line by mouse only

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

TSG
Premier Member

Extending a line by mouse only

Post by TSG » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:18 am

When I want to extend an existing line in the same direction as the original line by clicking with the mouse, I often use the snap tool "Restricted angle or length EL".
Before using it, I copy the angle of the original line from the properties in the Property Editor into the angle field of the snap tool. Then I can extend the line by mouse without loosing the original direction and without any distinct input of the distance.
I know that there is another tool named "Lengthen / Shorten LE" but in this tool I have to input an distinct "Amount" and I cannot use the mouse instead.

My question is: Is it possible to enhance the "Restricted angle or length" tool with an option to automatically use the angle of a selected line?

regards Thomas
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Extending a line by mouse only

Post by andrew » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:23 am

Perhaps dragging the endpoint while pressing the Shift key is what you are looking for?

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:30 am

Yesssss ...
That‘s it. I was looking for it since I‘m using QCAD a couple of years ago and now you give me such a simple solution.
Thank you very much. You made my day.

regards
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:24 pm

One more thing ... (like Steve Jobs would have said)

When using the SHIFT key while dragging the end point a perpendicular guide line is displayed (see attached screenshot).
It would be very helpful if other guide lines with x=const. and y= const. are displayed when pressing SHIFT + ALT key together while dragging.
What do you think about this? Can you implement it?

regards Thomas

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (188.45 KiB) Viewed 3073 times

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”