Cant get layout to show so I can print

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

vdanny

Cant get layout to show so I can print

Post by vdanny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 pm

I posted this question prior and Andrew said to see tutorial, yet I stll cant get the layout to show anything, when I go to print preview or when I press n the block Layout 1 (paper space) I get a blank page and none of my drawings. How do I do a layout page for each of my drawings in this file?

THX
preciously poysted Printing oreview and PDFs
Post by vdanny » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:20 pm

When I go to preview print. Qcad Pro places a sheet (ie 11x17 or 8.5x11 etc.) in the middle of the drawing. Versus on my drawing files. I have all the plans, one plan next to another, in 1 file so that i can easily copy & paste from one to another and or for reference. See attached screenshot.
So, when I print i must copy and paste that drawing (ie foundation, framing etc.) to the area that Qcad provides and then delete when done and do the same for the next drawing. Is there a way to have that printing area moved to where i have the drawing or another way to speed this up?
THX
QCAD Professional

Version:
3.21.3.0 (3.21.3)
Internet:
QCAD.org
Build Date:
Sep 17 2018
Revision:
4b91c8c
Qt Version:
Architecture:
x86_64 windows 7
Compiler:
MSVC++ 12.0 (2013)
Attachments
BB DWG V8 Plans.dwg
(314.83 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
screenshot print preview problem Qcad.JPG
screenshot print preview problem Qcad.JPG (33.91 KiB) Viewed 3276 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Cant get layout to show so I can print

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 pm

You could create a new layout for each part of the drawing you want to print separately (see Tutorial: Working with Layout Blocks and Viewports -> Creating Layouts).

You'd then create one viewport per layout which displays the part you want to print for that layout. You might want to have a look at the flange.dxf example that comes with QCAD (examples/flange.dxf) to see how you can create multiple layouts for a drawing to be able to print different parts of a drawing. Again, studying the above tutorial first is strongly recommended.

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Sorry for the constant questions, yet the tutorials are very limited, I did read all of it twice. I did the viewport, yet it only allows me 2 viewports (layouts 1 &2) tried to add other names under Blocks where those layouts are shown yet when I go to add the viewport ,the drop down window only allows the 1&2 shown. Tried restarting Qcad pro still same results.
QCAD Professional

Version:
3.21.3.0 (3.21.3)
Internet:
QCAD.org
Build Date:
Sep 17 2018
Revision:
4b91c8c
Qt Version:
Architecture:
x86_64 windows 7
Compiler:
MSVC++ 12.0 (2013)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:10 pm

I cannot reproduce this problem here. How do you go about adding a new layout block? Did you follow https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... ng_Layouts and the user manual it refers to, so Block > Add Layout Block?
I did the viewport, yet it only allows me 2 viewports (layouts 1 &2)
Note that there are viewports (those rectangles showing part of a drawing) and layouts (those special blocks listed in the block list). These are two different things and should not be confused. A layout or "layout block" can contain one or multiple viewports.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”