User Template Border HOwTo

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: User Template Border HOwTo

Post by Husky » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 pm

lphilpot wrote:I was just replying to a comment that Clive made, but I'm open. It's 100% OK if you or anyone else wants to educate me. :wink:

Thanks.
Ok .... then take a seat. :shock:

Yes, Clive was referring to a different way to print a drawing and yes he was talking about Paper_Space (Layout Block). What I explained above to ov10fac belongs ONLY to a print out of the Model_Space. You are asking to use the Paper_Space which means you have also to print out of the Paper_Space.
I think it is understood how it works out of the Model_Space - but what is the difference in using Paper_Space?

Model_Space = printing out of the Model_Space = printing EVERYTHING with the same scale. Inclusive Border! That is the reason why you have to scale a Border 10:1 in the case that you like to print a drawing 1:10.

Paper_Space = printing out of the Paper_Space! Border in 1:1 BUT your Viewports can be scaled. What means you will place a Border in the Paper_Space in 1:1 and you don't need to scale it for a print. Your print will also be in 1:1.

What is a Viewport? The name already explains it. It is a rectangle or square "Window" to your drawing in the Model_Space. You have to place this "Window" always in the Paper_Space and the nice thing is you can chose for each Viewport a separate scale.

Did I already lost you ..... :D :D :D

Before I confuse you even more - here an example how the structure is in such a drawing. Switch between Model_Space and Paper_Space to see what I have done ...
Have a look, play around and if you have still questions ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 am

That's exactly what I was thinking of -- A viewport (or viewports) in paper space through which an appropriately-scaled view (or views) of the drawing is seen, for printing/plotting. All the pieces exist at the same scale in model space but can be organized into specific layouts in paper space, at the same scale or at different scales as needed (e.g., overview, detail, etc.).

Now I just need to read through the help/docs and see how it's actually done from a procedural standpoint. :wink:

I'll risk one quick question before reading further (at the risk of triggering RTFM :mrgreen:): In this context you're referring to invoking "Add Viewport" (V,T) from paper space, not to what's defined in the drawing preferences under Layout | Viewport, right?

Thanks!!
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:51 am

lphilpot wrote:A viewport (or viewports) in paper space through which an appropriately-scaled view (or views) of the drawing is seen, for printing/plotting. All the pieces exist at the same scale in model space but can be organized into specific layouts in paper space, at the same scale or at different scales as needed (e.g., overview, detail, etc.).
Correct!
lphilpot wrote:Now I just need to read through the help/docs and see how it's actually done from a procedural standpoint. :wink:
Start with preparing a Paper_Space. Border etc. all in 1:1 ....
lphilpot wrote:In this context you're referring to invoking "Add Viewport" (V,T) from paper space, not to what's defined in the drawing preferences under Layout | Viewport, right?
Correct - I'm talking about Menu / Draw / Viewport / Add Viewport.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 am

Here you go... To save time, I just grabbed a few blocks I had downloaded long ago (but I drew the title block myself a few weeks ago! :lol:).
Attachments
Paper_space_viewport_practice.dwg
(30.21 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 am

Beautiful! :D

So, here additional thoughts ... :shock:
1. Whats about to rename the Layout Block (Paper_Space) in something what tells you what it is? I used for my example "ANSI-A L" what means an ANSI-A Paper in Landscape orientation.
2. Whats about to turn the Layer "Viewports" to not "Plottable",
3. Whats about to create an extra Layout Block (Menu / Block / Add Layout Block) to create an ANSI A Border in Portrait orientation? Name could be "ANSI-A P".

This kind of drawing could be used as a template drawing. All possible border work is already done regardless what you need.
Oh my lord ... CAD'ler are lazy! 8)

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:15 am

Good suggestions, and if I were planning on using it in the future I'd definitely do something like that. (famous last words!) At some point, I'll create some templates, but right now I'm learning. This was a POC. :wink:

I'll have to take a closer look, but I think (?) there are some details about scaling geometry for layout while keeping dimensions correct that I need to learn. I had added some dimensions which I removed because the sizes shown (if I read properly) on the layout didn't match model space. I must've done something to make them scale, too. But I was in a hurry and need to try again to see exactly what I did.
Len
QCAD Pro

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:23 pm

I don't know what I (thought I) saw last night, but scaling within a viewport works exactly right (i.e., 'zoom' changes don't affect real dimensions). I obviously misread something in my haste.

One other question: Is it possible to lock geometry in respect to a viewport (or vice-versa, as the case may be) so that if I move the referenced entities they won't disappear from the viewport? Or do I need to just verify all geometry is where it will stay before linking it to a viewport?

Thanks!
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:09 am

Not sure that I understand the question correctly? If you think to lock the viewpoint to an explicit geometry. No. But .... :shock:

As you already did in your practice drawing it makes sense to put Viewports on a dedicated layer. This layer can then be locked.

On the other hand - you can manipulate the Viewport in the Paper_Space. Have a closer look at the blue points after selecting the viewpoint.

1, 2, 3, 4, to manipulate the size.
5, to move the whole Viewpoint,
6, to move the view inside the Viewpoint
Husky-2018.02.02-01.png
Husky-2018.02.02-01.png (36.23 KiB) Viewed 6352 times

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:00 am

Yep, I figured out 1 through 6.

And you understood correctly what I was asking: If I move entities in model space and they're also in a viewport in paper space, they'll move there, too (just the geometry, not the viewport). So there's no way to 'anchor' them to a viewport in paper space while allowing them to move in model space. I was just curious.

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”