move a set of circles by one's center point reference

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Frank
Registered Member

move a set of circles by one's center point reference

Post by Frank » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 am

Hi Forum,

I am using QCAD for electronics documentation, and a frequent task is to draw hole grids, e.g. for of prototyping circuit boards, connectors, or wiring. Working with a 2.54mm grid spacing, I copy-paste sets of circles (or disks) to quickly fill rows and segments. For positioning a set circles to the grid I select a suitable members center point by using "copy with reference" (e.g. SHIFT+CTRL+C/V), and snap it to the grid. This works fine for copy and paste.

However when I move a block of circles, simply creating a selection with the pointer (without any tool), and trying to move it by a choosen center point reference fails for me. It subsequently only moves the single circle instead of the whole selected set. It works if I explicitly use the "move" function under "modify->move/copy".

Its a workflow slowdown to use the specific "move" tool (imagine bigger complex grids), so I am wondering if there is a trick that I am missing? E.g. a shortcut key to hold down while selecting the center? The goal is to snap the selected circle set back to the grid.

Thank You!
Frank

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: move a set of circles by one's center point reference

Post by Husky » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 am

Hi Frank - welcome to the forum.
Frank wrote:However when I move a block of circles, simply creating a selection with the pointer (without any tool), and trying to move it by a choosen center point reference fails for me. It subsequently only moves the single circle instead of the whole selected set. It works if I explicitly use the "move" function under "modify->move/copy".

Its a workflow slowdown to use the specific "move" tool (imagine bigger complex grids), so I am wondering if there is a trick that I am missing? E.g. a shortcut key to hold down while selecting the center? The goal is to snap the selected circle set back to the grid.
Trick? .... I'm not sure ..... but try how this works for your workflow:

Below Application preferences is the option given to turn off the dialog for the Move/Copy tool options.
Husky-2017.07.15-01.png
Husky-2017.07.15-01.png (72.64 KiB) Viewed 8665 times
Uncheck this option - click OK - select your circles - launch the Move/Copy tool - chose your reference (center of one circle in this selection?) move it to your proper grid point - done.

Will that help?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Frank, first create a block from selection (BC) make sure you choose carefully the reference point. Then you can name the block/group and save it the library and use it time and time again - more bespoke block / groups can be created in this way.

You will find that in CAD programs this is the standard method.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

riverbuoy

Post by riverbuoy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi Frank,

There is a way to move all the selected circles at once, but not by using the centre point, so this may not be useful.

Select the circles as usual. Position the mouse pointer on one of the circles. Don't select the centre point or quadrant points. Holding the left button down drag the circles. Once they have started to move, you can let go of the left button. You will now see the selection point for placing the circles has moved to the nearest quadrant point on the circle chosen. You can now place the circles using that point.

As I say this may not be useful, but if you can accurately place a quadrant point, this may be of use to you.

Regards

riverbuoy

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:23 pm

@Riverbuoy

Interesting .... a little question from Frank and the resonance is that users are jumping on this train to find a workable workaround. What could that mean ....?

Here my opinion: This move function isn't perfect! Nice to have this possibility (like most of the graphics software has) but I need precision up to 99.9% in my CAD doing. It doesn't makes often sense to me to use this simple move function to place something just somewhere out there what means I use in first place the move/copy tool to get it done.

The possibility to use the "turn off options" function below Application Preferences for the move/copy tool is just perfect ......... but it's a very long way to turn it on/off for all different situations. Maybe you'll do it one, two, three times but then ....

Conclusion:
I would support the idea from Frank to have a Shortcut to catch a reference ...

... but:

Personal I would more like to see an option bar which pops up with launching the Move/Copy tool which allows me to turn on/off the copy dialog during using the tool. Just like what we already have below Application Preferences ... but much more obviously and convenient. I'm then able to switch fast for every given case. Of course - it should remember the last setting ....

Additional it could disappear below Application Preferences where it is hard to find ... :wink:

Just my two cents.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:28 am

Frank wrote:For positioning a set circles to the grid I select a suitable members center point by using "copy with reference" (e.g. SHIFT+CTRL+C/V), and snap it to the grid. This works fine for copy and paste.
If copy / paste works for you for copying, you might want to use cut / paste for moving. I often find myself using the clipboard tools instead of the modification tools for moving, copying and even scaling, rotating and simple mirroring operations.
However when I move a block of circles, simply creating a selection with the pointer (without any tool), and trying to move it by a choosen center point reference fails for me. It subsequently only moves the single circle instead of the whole selected set.
In this case, you are dragging a single reference point (at the center of the circle) which moves the circle only.

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:19 am

Andrew, all good points and thank you for pointing out the fact that the copy /paste tools can be equally used - often missed I think!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Many roads lead to Rome.
I think in Franks case Copy & Paste (SHIFT+CMD/CTRL+C and CMD/CTRL+V) is the preferred method.

I always use the Move Tool.
The new option to hide the copy/move options in the application preferences is very helpful. After activating it you need to restart QCAD.
After activating the move tool there pops up an option bar which allows to change all the settings like in the preferences dialog. And it works as Husky asked for. So whats the problem?

regards Thomas
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 pm

TSG wrote:After activating it you need to restart QCAD.
After activating the move tool there pops up an option bar which allows to change all the settings like in the preferences dialog. And it works as Husky asked for. So whats the problem?
Haha - caught! :shock: I never restarted QCAD and haven't seen this Option Bar. Thanks for mention this! :D

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”