saving to library all blocks in a file

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dfriasb

saving to library all blocks in a file

Post by dfriasb » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello all,

Is there any fast way to save into library (like independent dxf files) all blocks in a drawing?
And what about the opposite way? Is it possible to insert into a drawing multiple block files (from library folder, or whatever) in order to update all these blocks?
I use B,T command to save to library; and I also use the Library Browser to insert blocks one by one, but this operations can take a lot time when number of blocks is high.

Let's say I'm working on a file containing a ground floor plan with a lot of doors&windows types. I'm modifying some of these doors and windows, and I want to update this changes into another file containing the typical floor plan of the same building. This can happen even with more than two drawings (like different floor plans, for example).
One solution would be to work with one unique file for all floor plans, but this have limitations on users and computer performance.
Any other solutions?

Thanks in advance. Best regards,

David Frías
David Frías Barranco | architect
[email protected] | davidfriasarquitecto.es

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: saving to library all blocks in a file

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Hello David,
dfriasb wrote:Is there any fast way to save into library (like independent dxf files) all blocks in a drawing?
No.
dfriasb wrote:Is it possible to insert into a drawing multiple block files (from library folder, or whatever) in order to update all these blocks?
Yes, you can use Templates, Library, Import or even copy/paste functions.
dfriasb wrote:Let's say I'm working on a file containing a ground floor plan with a lot of doors&windows types. I'm modifying some of these doors and windows, and I want to update this changes into another file containing the typical floor plan of the same building. This can happen even with more than two drawings (like different floor plans, for example).
To circle the possibility's a little bit in - will this modification lead to a replacement of the already existing window/door and has to be replaced in other drawings ...
... or will that lead to a additional new typ of window / door which can be used in new or modified drawings?

dfriasb wrote: One solution would be to work with one unique file for all floor plans, but this have limitations on users and computer performance.
About how many window/door types we are actually talking?
The users are working with an intranet?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

davidedwardmawer
Newbie Member

Post by davidedwardmawer » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 am

I have the same handicap with QCAD.

I have a hundred drawings.
Each drawing has a mix from a possible 500 blocks.

In time, I improved blocks bit by bit in each consecutive drawing production up to the current drawing. But I cannot export the current block list and overwrite in older drawings.I cannot go back to my previous 100 drawings and update the many many blocks in the block list unless I do it one at a time.

Maybe I could draw all my current blocks in one drawing then copy and paste all together into my older drawings? But I have also added some new layers within these current blocks.

davidedwardmawer
Newbie Member

Post by davidedwardmawer » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:51 am

I’m not at my laptop to check this but maybe it’s an option to copy each old drawing into a current template (without ticking overwrite) to create a replacement for the old drawing but with current blocks and layers up to date.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:07 pm

davidedwardmawer wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 am
Maybe I could draw all my current blocks in one drawing then copy and paste all together into my older drawings? But I have also added some new layers within these current blocks.
If the layer has at least one entity on it the layer can be imported or copy/paste to an other drawing. Empty layer not! :wink:
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:37 pm

I believe 'Husky' has given the simple answer here with the use of Templates.
For a project with say 20 different window types, draw these as blocks on one drawing named say Project Window Types. These could be plans or elevations etc. This is the drawing you update. When the updated drawing is inserted alongside the floor plan or elevation. drawing as long as both drawings have block names the same for each window type you should be able to Update blocks. And the Floor plan or Elevation should be refreshed.
Regards Nigel

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:54 pm

aleximanc3 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm
On the import side, inserting dozens of library block definitions at once would also be very useful
I'm right now not on my PC (can't double check it) but I think that is already possible. Menu / Import ... multible block selection ... Ok.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:43 am

Husky wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:54 pm
I think that is already possible. Menu / Import ... multible block selection ... Ok.
On Windows this only imports the first selected dxf item as block into the drawing.
Dragging in a multiple selection of dxf items into QCAD using the explorer results in the same.
QCAD requests one to more insertion positions for the first item or one can cancel the importing process.
Nigel wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:37 pm
When the updated drawing is inserted alongside the floor plan or elevation.
This does work when imported into the second drawing ... Overwriting existent blocks and only when block references exists.
But that also creates a block with the source drawing name and its content and a reference to that block.
What can be removed simply by selecting this block in the Block List and delete it (BR), sub-block definitions in the block are retained.
In a way one doesn't import blocks but one imports block references and allows updating block definitions.

You really need to diversify between a block definition of a block in the Block List and a block reference what is a drawing entity.

Opened as drawings aside one other then the block content in drawing 1 is unrelated to the block content in drawing 2.
Even when the origin was originally the same and/or the naming is the same.
One can not insert blocks from another drawing into a drawing, one can copy over block references.

Remark that the content of the drawing blocks is unrelated to the block dxf file after insertion.
And that the item dxf file content is unrelated to any content in different drawings where this data is used as blocks.
In other words:
Library item screw.dxf is unrelated to block "screw" in drawing 1 and those two are again unrelated to block "screw" in drawing 2.
davidedwardmawer wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 am
In time, I improved blocks bit by bit in each consecutive drawing production up to the current drawing. But I cannot export the current block list and overwrite in older drawings.I cannot go back to my previous 100 drawings and update the many many blocks in the block list unless I do it one at a time.
aleximanc3 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:20 pm
Having the ability to quickly sync updated blocks between related drawings for different floors in your example would help tremendously.
Linked content is called XREF and further not supported by QCAD: https://qcad.org/bugtracker/index.php?d ... ask_id=693 (2012)
See topic https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=5226 for example.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”