Can't Save in Library

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

BarryW

Can't Save in Library

Post by BarryW » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi folks,
Having spent many years using Drafix/Autosketch, I was looking for an alternative, as Adesk have abandoned it.
QCAD fits the bill perfectly, with one exception : I can't get the library function to save anything.
With the library browser on screen, and entity(s) selected in the drawing, I press the Up Arrow on Library Browser (or use B,T);
Then prompted for a reference point, which I select;
File dialog then appears, navigate to relevant folder, type a filename, say "L1" ;
So far so good, but on clicking 'Save' I get another dialog saying Can't OPEN L1.dxf.
A similar prompt in Red appears on the command line.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing something wrong ?

thanks,
Barry
ps - using Windows 8.1.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Can't Save in Library

Post by Husky » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:19 am

Hello Barry - welcome in the Forum!

Your description how you walked thru the "Library item storage process" sounds absolutely correct to me!

I tried to reproduce the problem on a Win XP System but everything works as expected.

Right now I can only imagine one thing what could be the reason for the failing process:
Have you tried a couple different versions of QCAD and installed them all in the same directory?

However - I would first try to make a new installation of QCAD in a new and empty folder. You are working with QCAD 3.4.6?

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Hello,
Thanks for that info.
I have v 3.4.6. running under Windows 8.1 on a laptop, and v 3.4.5 running under windows 7 on a Desktop.
Both have the same problem.
When I installed 3.4.6 on the laptop, ( If I remember correctly) the previous version had to be removed before the new version would install.
thanks,
Barry.

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:11 am

Seems to me also that you have done this correctly.

You shouldn't need to ...but try this:

1. Go to Windows start and type %appdata% and totally delete the 'qcad' roaming folder.

2.Do clean install of QCAD and navigate to the installation folder, right click folder and set permissions to read and write all files (under security tab).

3.Try again with saving to the library browser.
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:09 pm

Clive,
thanks for that, tried it and everything worked OK.

But -

I made a new folder for my wiring diagram symbols, (C:\Program Files (x86)\QCAD\libraries\wiring), and as soon as I try to save to that, the problem recurs - (Warning Dialog - Can't Open file ...)

Removing the new folder doesn't help, I now can't save to anywhere again, so now need another re-install
:?
thanks
Barry

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi Barry
I'm not sure what's going on there, certainly is a mystery, Barry,can you right click on your new folder and repeat the 'setting permissions' procedure and let us know if this does the trick again!

These wiring symbols, are you importing them from outside of QCAD or are they created with QCAD 3?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi folks,
Changing permissions didn't help, but another re-install did.

It seems to depend on where the new library folder is located ;
With the new folder under /Libraries/Default - that seems work OK, but
if the new folder is only under /Libraries - that consistently fails for me.

Thanks for all your help,
Barry.

JulesB

Post by JulesB » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Clive wrote:2.Do clean install of QCAD and navigate to the installation folder, right click folder and set permissions to read and write all files (under security tab).
I was on QCAD Pro 3.6.4 on a Windows 7 laptop and was having the same issue as Barry.

I tried your advice Clive and did a reinstall with the latest version 3.7.7 and changed the security permissions and now its working fine, so thanks for that ! 8)

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”