Plot survey lines using legal description coordinates

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

MrMark52
Registered Member

Plot survey lines using legal description coordinates

Post by MrMark52 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:49 pm

Hello all - first time poster here, just came across QCAD a month or so ago while seeking an alternative to AutoCAD and/or similar. I first used AutoCAD back in the mid '80's for a few years - never became super proficient but got good enough to do what I needed done.

Sometime in the '90's, I used AutoCAD to lay out the survey bounderies for our property. And for whatever reason, I didn't save it as a DXF or DWG. I do have it as a PNG, but that rally isn't cutting the mustard. I am now in the process of designing a room addition to our home which will also require an upgrade to the septic system and the restrictions that come with it as well as other issues about the property.

So I need to recreate our survey from the legal description for the property.

I'm running QCAD Version: 3.29.6.0 (3.29.6) on a Windows machine. I have found other forum postings that provide recommendation for how to enter the data (i.e. N89d15'0"E279.24') but I cant get it to work. And I currently get an error message telling me my data input is incorrect.
I have also tried "@279.24<N89d15'0" and get the error message in the Command Line window "Invalid coordinate or distance "@279.24&lt;N89d15".

I've tried the data entry behind the LA command with no luck. When I type in LA in the Command Window, QCAD comes back and asks "Position". I have then picked a point on the page, but there is no line extension from that point.
I have tried entering datum numbers mentioned above, both with and without the LA command.
There is a toolbar that comes up, sometimes on the left side of the toolbar bar, other times on the right side where I can sometimes enter the angle and length of the line, but nothing shows up as a line on the drawing.

Help please e_confused ?

MrMark52
Registered Member

Re: Plot survey lines using legal description coordinates

Post by MrMark52 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:59 pm

Well heck - after 4 days of trying . . . . . e_confused

1. Enter LI in the Command Line
2. Place the cursor, hit Enter
3. Enter the coordinates as - "@279.24<N89d15'0"E"
4. Hit Enter
5. e_surprised

I finally got it to work! :D

Thanks All! I guess I just needed a sounding board!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”