Dimensioning scale

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

rbcorreia
Registered Member

Dimensioning scale

Post by rbcorreia » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:50 pm

Hi everybody.

Every time I open a drawing (dxf, dwg, whatever) from an external source, I get the following message (I get it in Portuguese which is the language that I've set but I will translate it for you):

"Dimensioning Scale

The scale for new dimensions is not 1:1. Dimension labels will show values that are different from what is measured on the drawing. It's possible to correct the scaling factor in the options toolbar at the top."

If this is not corrected, it gives extremely annoying results. What you measure has nothing to do with reality!!!

Where is the option to solve this located exactly? I can't find it....

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Dimensioning scale

Post by CVH » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:39 pm

Hi, and welcome to the QCAD forum.
rbcorreia wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:50 pm
I get the following message "Dimensioning Scale"
Never encountered this on opening a drawing file.
Would it be possible to attach such an example drawing document?

I get a dialog with this heading when creating a new Dimension and my Dimension option 'Scale' is not 1:1 ... :?
Have you altered Dimension option 'Scale' at some point? This option is shared among Dimension tools and stored persistent.
Once changed this should be persistent from that point on, even for other drawings and future drawing sessions.
(QCAD3.ini/config: section [Dimension] Scale=1:1)
rbcorreia wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:50 pm
The scale for new dimensions is not 1:1. Dimension labels will show values that are different from what is measured on the drawing. It's possible to correct the scaling factor in the options toolbar at the top."
Are new dimensions created in Model_Space or in Paper_Space?
For dimensions on Paper_Space one can tick the 'Auto' option for automatic scaling.
Dimension entities are then created with a suitable Linear measurement factor what makes the difference between:
A) The Measurement Value and B) the displayed Label if Auto.

If dimensions on Model_Space in scale 1:1 differ from reality I suspect that the drawing is created in scale.

The preferred and easiest way is drawing on Model_Space in scale 1:1 whatever the choice of the drawing unit is.
This method spares you the trouble of converting all real world measurements to drawing measurements forth and back.
How that is represented on paper depends on the paper scale in a later stage.
Drawing in scale with ink directly on paper is a thing of the past. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”