Printing with imperial scales

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Printing with imperial scales

Post by Husky » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:19 pm

I've a hard time printing in imperial scale formats. It's chasing me from one corner into an other ...

Example ...
... my drawing is in inch / imperial.

Out of Model_Space Print Preview presents drop down defaults in imperial scales - nice but also expected.
But, scrolling down the list shows scales like 1/4096" = 1'-0". I've never seen those scales in the real world. Just think about this scale - it tells you that 0.000244140625" is equal to 1' ... who works with a scale like that?
BTW - it doesn't looks better converted to metric mm 0.006201171748 mm is equal to 304.8 mm :shock:

Husky-2022.03.21-01.png
Husky-2022.03.21-01.png (17 KiB) Viewed 6186 times

Ok, going further ...
Printing in Paper_Space ...
If I add a Viewport the print tools pop up. First Scale option should be the same like that one in Print Preview - but the drop down list is gone - just a metric scale of 1:1 shows up. At least it accepts a manual imperial input like 1" = 8". The other scale option in the tool bar is for the Viewport. Yes, a scale list will be presented but now it's a metric list.

Husky-2022.03.21-05.png
Husky-2022.03.21-05.png (28.8 KiB) Viewed 6186 times

Im pretty sure no one of us will ever work with a metric and an imperial scale in the same drawing! However, smarty pants me - I type in the imperial scale which is immediately declined with the message: "Type error" occurred. Nope, it wasn't a type error the field just doesn't accepts imperial scale formats ...

Husky-2022.03.21-03.png
Husky-2022.03.21-03.png (34.05 KiB) Viewed 6186 times

... but it accepts metric 1/10.

Bugreport below:
https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.p ... sk_id=2349
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Printing with imperial scales

Post by ryancousins » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:26 am

Andrew,

Is the lack of pre-populated common imperial scale options such as 1/4" = 1' in the viewport scale field simply a matter of it not being implemented, or is there more of a purposeful reason for it's omission here? I would think this would be the primary place where someone would choose their scale when placing a viewport in paperspace, so having those common options to choose from like they're already available in print preview would make sense, at least to me. I know with my students last semester, we'd be dealing with 1/4" = 1' or 1/8" = 1' but when they'd place a viewport, they'd have to enter it as 1/48 or 1/96. Of course that's not a big deal at all but I wondered if that is an intentional decision that makes sense beyond my limited knowledge?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:08 am

Yes, this is simply not implemented. I will look into improving this.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:11 am

Husky wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:19 pm
But, scrolling down the list shows scales like 1/4096" = 1'-0". I've never seen those scales in the real world. Just think about this scale - it tells you that 0.000244140625" is equal to 1' ... who works with a scale like that?
No idea. I've never had the pleasure to work with imperial scales, so a bit of help would certainly be appreciated with a list of "acceptable" or "common" scales in the imperial world. Frankly, to me 1/8" = 1'-0" is just as exotic and unthinkable to work with. These scales were suggested at one point by other users.

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:40 am

andrew wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:11 am
I've never had the pleasure to work with imperial scales, so a bit of help would certainly be appreciated with a list of "acceptable" or "common" scales in the imperial world. Frankly, to me 1/8" = 1'-0" is just as exotic and unthinkable to work with. These scales were suggested at one point by other users.
Pleasure, hmmm that is debatable ....

I'm happy to put a list together which is close to standard metric scales. Maybe ryancousins can also provide a list of common imperial scales ... :wink:
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm

andrew wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:11 am
Frankly, to me 1/8" = 1'-0" is just as exotic and unthinkable to work with.
I agree. This seems to be the standard for architectural drawings in the US. Thankfully, us Yankees are at least sensible enough to use Metric for most engineering/mechanical drawings.

Here is a range of scales that are used in architecture, ranging from large site plans up to detail drawings:

1/32" = 1'
1/16" = 1'
1/8" = 1'
1/4" - 1'
3/8" = 1'
1/2" = 1'
3/4" = 1'
1" = 1'
1 1/2 " = 1'
3" = 1'

In the print preview scale drop-down, I see that this extends all the way down to 1/4096" = 1'. Perhaps those much smaller scales are used for GIS/mapping purposes? I have no experience in that area so I have no idea if those are actually used.

For anything scaled up larger than real-life size, I have only ever seen those scales listed with a unitless ratio such as 2:1, 10:1, etc, since we're typically talking about an engineering/mechanical type drawing which is almost always in Metric.

I'm not sure about the use-case for the scales from 1" = 2" all the way to 1" = 4096" that are in the print preview drop-down, but who knows?!

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:36 pm

ryancousins wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:41 pm
In the print preview scale drop-down, I see that this extends all the way down to 1/4096" = 1'. Perhaps those much smaller scales are used for GIS/mapping purposes? I have no experience in that area so I have no idea if those are actually used.
I think something went wrong with this funky scale. Let just remember why scale information are used on a drawing. It is a way for who ever human reads this drawing in the field to compare drawing measurements to real world measurements. If I use an Architecture triangle ruler in the field I can easily read what is covered for e.g. 1/8 of an inch. If I have a scale of 1/8" = 1' then I know the measurement of 1/8" represents 1'. Easy peasy, ...
Let's use common sense: How to read on an Architecture triangle ruler a 1/4096 of an inch to figure out what is a feet in length in the real world ... :wink:
(For the metric guys ... we are talking about 1:49152).

I found this "cheat list" website which shows nicely a bunch of imperial scale formats. If the scale field for Viewports will accept expression and modification for imperial formats like the scale field for Model_Space / Print Preview then I don't think it is necessary to cover ALL on that website listed scales.

https://www.landfx.com/kb/autocad-fxcad ... lists.html

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:36 am

Husky wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:36 pm
Let's use common sense: How to read on an Architecture triangle ruler a 1/4096 of an inch to figure out what is a feet in length in the real world ... :wink:
You’re right that such an extreme scale would make no sense in the context of a physical scale. You could certainly print something at that scale and declare it as your scale, but making measurements on the printed paper is obviously not feasible.

P.S. Thanks for finding that website, it’s pretty comprehensive!

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:46 pm

I was bored so I made a PDF from the charts on that website.
Attachments
Scale Conversion.pdf
(142.69 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”