Duplicate Layout Block

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

ryancousins
Premier Member

Duplicate Layout Block

Post by ryancousins » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm

I would find it very helpful to be able to duplicate a layout block. Often times I need several copies of a particular layout in paper space except with minor changes on each page. Duplicating and then making the changes would be a lot easier than creating a new blank layout page and then rebuilding it. Is this something that would be useful to others and reasonably easy to implement?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Duplicate Layout Block

Post by Husky » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:22 am

ryancousins wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm
Duplicating and then making the changes would be a lot easier ...
Yes, I would like to have a "Duplicate Layout Block" too.

ryancousins wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 pm
... than creating a new blank layout page and then rebuilding it.
Right now a "creating a new Layout Block" + Copy and Paste the content of an existing Layout Block will do the trick but it would be so much nicer if we just could use a (right click?) duplicate functionality. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:29 pm

I would be okay with the copy/paste method except that I don't know of a way to snap to the edges or center of the paper or something similar, so it takes a little bit of work to make sure everything is placed in the correct place on the new layout page(s). Sometimes the "Autofit drawing to pages" will do the trick but in other situations that won't work.

I suppose if I were mindful of the X,Y position of the paper I could use that, too. But I think in the end a dedicated option to just duplicate would be great.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:06 am

ryancousins wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:29 pm
I suppose if I were mindful of the X,Y position of the paper I could use that, too.
Yep - work with absolute zero - easy thing to do.

In short for professionals :wink:
Create a new Layout Block,
Source Layout: Edit Block, Select all, "Copy with Reference" to clipboard, Reference absolute 0,0
Target Layout: Edit mode, Paste, Reference absolute 0,0
Make sure the source and target layout has no locked or frozen layer and are using the same scale - ordinarily 1:1
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:21 am

Husky wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:06 am

In short for professionals :wink:
Create a new Layout Block,
Source Layout: Edit Block, Select all, "Copy with Reference" to clipboard, Reference absolute 0,0
Target Layout: Edit mode, Paste, Reference absolute 0,0
Make sure the source and target layout has no locked or frozen layer and are using the same scale - ordinarily 1:1
That's a good method. I'm so used to the move/copy command that I usually forget about copy with reference.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”