[solved]Education on scaling

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

DaleEltoft

[solved]Education on scaling

Post by DaleEltoft » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:17 am

I've learned a lot from the An Introduction to Computer-Aided Design (CAD) by Andrew Mustun but there is one thing I'm wishing for. Scaling. It seems like a simple concept but it isn't. :roll: There are "Scale" values to be set in dozens of places. If the book is a work in progress, I'd like to see a large chapter added that explains all the scale values, how they interact and strategies for how to use them.
Last edited by DaleEltoft on Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Education on scaling

Post by ryancousins » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:31 am

I could see that being a helpful addition. For now, if you have a specific use case in mind, someone might be able to walk you through how scale would come into play. For instance, if you plan on modeling floorplans vs. relatively small items, if you need different views to appear on one printed page, etc. And feel free to ask about specific instances of the scale as you come across them in QCAD and someone will help you sort it all out.

The first principle to keep in mind is it is standard practice to draw your model in real-world size. So for instance, a 50 foot wall would be drawn as 50 feet in CAD, and then scaled down as needed to accommodate the requirements of your paper prints or image exports.

DaleEltoft

Re: Education on scaling

Post by DaleEltoft » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:55 am

Thanks :) I'll get back to the forum when I get to the task of printing. I suspect getting drawings to fit and the dimension text readable will be where scaling will matter.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”