[solved] status bar behavior

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

smf
Premier Member

[solved] status bar behavior

Post by smf » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi there,

on previous releases, the status bar did not change it's height. Today I updated from 3.7.5 to 3.9.1 and immediately recognized a "hopping" working area which is a result of the status bar that now changes it's height after selecting an entity because the text "No entities selected" changes to something like "Selected entities: \\newline 1 Block Reference on Layer \\newline 'THE_LAYER'". On previous versions the text was cut off, which is indeed not perfect for reading, but in my opinion much better than the "hopping" working area. Disabling the status bar solves the hopping working area problem, but now I'm missing the information shown. :(

I don't think it's a bug, but for me it's definitely not a feature. Is there someone else having this feeling?

Regards - Stefan

andrew
Site Admin

Re: status bar behavior

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 am

Can you try to make the status bar font a bit smaller? Edit > Application Preferences > Widgets > Statusbar

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I can not change the original font ("Nimbus Sans L"), it is fixed to 9. But changing the font to "DejaVu Sans" allows to change the size to 8, which indeed solves the changing height problem. :)

Thank you very much. :)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:02 am

OK, thanks for letting me know. I guess this is on a Linux system? Linux systems tend to use different system fonts on different distributions, different distribution versions, even different installations.

smf
Premier Member

Post by smf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:37 pm

Yes, XUbuntu 14.04 - I was just wondering after the 3.7.5=>3.9.1 update that my objects "move" on the screen. Now it is "as before" and perfect. :D

smf
Premier Member

Re:status bar behavior

Post by smf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:31 pm

Sorry for re-activating this thread. After some testing with font size 6 (!), I got an external file with extra-long layer names - of course now the status bar starts hopping again, and further reducing the font size does not seem appropriate to me.

Would it be possible to have an option "never change the height of the status bar"? I think it is less painful to crop the layer name in the status bar than changing the drawing area on selection, and it would be possible come to a readable font size :D for the other status bar elements.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Re:status bar behavior

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:34 pm

smf wrote:Would it be possible to have an option "never change the height of the status bar"?
Yes, this has been addressed for the next release.

smf
Premier Member

Re: [solved] status bar behavior

Post by smf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:14 pm

And like so many times before: thank you! :D :D :D

smf
Premier Member

Re: [solved] status bar behavior

Post by smf » Sat May 30, 2015 9:27 am

...just wanted to say: in version 3.9.3 everything is perfect. Thank you :D

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”