Feature Request: Plain Text Paste (CTRL-SHIFT-V)

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

iOne iTwo

Feature Request: Plain Text Paste (CTRL-SHIFT-V)

Post by iOne iTwo » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:58 am

Could you add "plain text paste" as ctrl-shift-V

Why? Because sometimes the clipboard comes in with rich text formatting that's anti-helpful.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.82 KiB) Viewed 5149 times
The workaround is to paste into a plain text editor, or the console, then recopy and repaste into qCad.
One could also argue that qCad should NEVER take rich text, and rather only accept the plain text.
Either way the ctrl-shift-V shortcut is useful for those trained on other software.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Feature Request: Plain Text Paste (CTRL-SHIFT-V)

Post by CVH » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:23 am

Agreed, having encountered it numerous times while documenting with text snippets from elsewhere. :roll:
Even copying Info measurements from the Command Line are Rich Text.

The best place to file a feature request is QCAD Bugtracker:
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/
You may need a different account there or make a new one.

May I remark that Ctrl-Shift-V is already in use for Paste along Entity (PE)
But not when the Text Editor Widget has the focus and dialog Widgets are always modal on a Win OS system. :wink:
Still, I'll vote for it in any way.:P

Regards,
CVH

iOne iTwo

Post by iOne iTwo » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:26 am

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:31 am

This issue exist since decades - not only with Qcad. That is the reason why a ton of offline Clipboard Manager have the option to copy/paste plain text or formatted text. They are literally built for that task! Many of then switch from plain to rich text just with a shift key combination. Many are also customizable. Ctrl Shift V shouldn't be a problem when you rename in Qcad the shortcut for "Paste along Entity".

IMHO - I see no need to reinvent the wheel again ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:31 am

Husky wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:31 am
IMHO - I see no need to reinvent the wheel again ...
Removed Ctrl-Shift-V as shortcut for PE.
One of the reasons is that I never used this key combination for this tool.
Another reason is that it is completely different compared with the standard Win Ctrl-Shift-V behavior.
Additionally, PE has some issues and limitations I dislike. :(
FS#1345 ; FS#1836 ; FS#2087 ... Mostly because it doesn't account for any length of the things to paste.

I still can't paste in plain text mode to the QCAD Text Editor widget.

One of the source I often use is copying text from the Command Line history, especially results from the info tools.
These are handle by EAction.handleUserInfo(...) and are in color #0066cc by default.
After selecting a portion of text one can not copy that with Ctrl-C but one can use the context menu: R-Click .. Copy.

Ctrl-V, Shift-Insert and context menu .. Paste are all in Rich text, Ctrl-Shift-V is not functional in the QCAD Text Editor.

It is thus not the question of 'reinvent the wheel again', it is a question of implementing an extra context menu method to strip formatting.
Or to support Ctrl-Shift-V in the QCAD Text Editor and deprecate this shortcut for PE.

The work around is to set your text to simple or edit the source of your text directly.
Still, pasting plain text for the latter it will be formatted in a last active format what is intended behavior.
Editing the source of formatted text can be tricky.

Bottom line:
The detour via a plain text editor is usually safer, faster and easier than having to adjust it every time in the QCAD text editor.

@ iOne iTwo: I have voted for your feature request FS#2544.
Other users that have an interest in this feature should vote it up.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”