Scenario when dropping AutoCAD for QCAD may not be practical

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Bilal_AU

Scenario when dropping AutoCAD for QCAD may not be practical

Post by Bilal_AU » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:42 pm

I have used AutoCAD for many decades and am seriously enjoying using and learning QCAD Professional.
It is incredibly great value and a very capable drafting package. I like that it is not AutoCAD nor does it try to be a clone. Being able to read and write DWG files is a big plus. Sure there are some similarities but because QCAD is not a clone they have been able to create tools and configuration settings that are incredibly efficient and quick to learn. Configuring dimensions also seems to be less hassle than with AutoCAD.

So would I recommend QCAD to an AutoCAD user wanting a more cost effective CAD package? And when might that not be practical?

So would I recommend QCAD?
Absolutely. It is a great affordable CAD package.

Can I open, edit and print AutoCAD DWG files?
Yes.

What about using XREFS,Wipeouts / text masks, xclips, and layer management in viewports?
That is a scenario where it is not going to be a seamless replacement for AutoCAD.

In this scenario a drawing produced in AutoCAD will not display/print the same in QCAD.
From what I can tell so far, QCAD does not support AutoLISP, XREFS, Wipeouts / text masks, xclips or viewport layer management like AutoCAD does.
For some CAD users, QCAD not supporting those features may be a show stopper in them switching from AutoCAD to QCAD.

Can I still produce a drawing that prints similar?

It is definitely still possible to produce awesome drawings that could print out the same by making some adjustments in how you draw.
For instance to overcome layer management limitations in viewports, replicating the detail without some of the layers could produce the desired result. But it would be really cool if you could further develop viewport layer functionality down the track.
Elsewhere in this forum, someone has suggested using images instead of wipeouts and text masks as a way to mask objects.
As far as not supporting LISP, you have other coding options built into QCAD.

For me it is not a show stopper. The few drawings I am doing these days, making adjustments in drafting methods is all part of the fun.

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Scenario when dropping AutoCAD for QCAD may not be practical

Post by ryancousins » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:18 pm

Bilal_AU wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:42 pm

It is incredibly great value and a very capable drafting package. I like that it is not AutoCAD nor does it try to be a clone.
You have summed up the similarities and differences pretty clearly. I have no inside knowledge, but my observation has been that the developer of QCAD has to find the right balance between form and function. Most of us would love some of the more advanced capabilities of AC without having to deal with the bloat, learning curve, and hefty price that come with it. But each of those capabilities would chip away at the simple elegance of QCAD.

Another factor is likely that QCAD is developed by a very small number of people, compared to the 12,600 (according to Wikipedia) employees over at AD. The huge advantage for us is the ability to gather here and interact with the developer and other experienced users and be more connected to the evolution QCAD into the future rather than just being one insignificant individual in the face of a giant corporation. The downside is of course that new features take more time to roll out and some may simply never be implemented as they are outside the scope of the developer's vision for the program.

Bilal_AU

Post by Bilal_AU » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:09 pm

Hi Ryan,
Very true. This is all an acceptable balance. The developers have done a great job. It is funny how I love using QCAD whereas in the past I have used a few AutoCAD clones that I found quite irritating to use due to lag, drawing interface and just not feeling right.

Bilal_AU

Post by Bilal_AU » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:51 am

Whilst this thread was originally intended to be an "elevator pitch" for AutoCAD users that may be considering QCAD. Basically to say QCAD is totally awesome, You should try it; It is seriously worth getting and the only potential show stopper I could see was what I mentioned above.

Whilst the original message summarised a "potential downside", I wanted to take a moment to say how awesome I think the software and the forum really is.

The amount of support and tips Andrew, Husky, RyanCousins, CVH, petevick and many more provide us new users is just incredible.

Today I watched several of Husky's (WorldHusky) YouTube videos. They left me speechless... "What...You mean QCAD can do that????"
OMG the Parent Layer demo video blew my mind. AutoCAD cannot even do that. That is such a cool feature.
Each day I am finding more and more cool tools in QCAD.

Thanks heaps

Absolutely Loving QCAD

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”