Exist there a Qcad CAM tool libary for most used tools

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Andre_designer
Newbie Member

Exist there a Qcad CAM tool libary for most used tools

Post by Andre_designer » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:35 pm

Exist there a Qcad CAM tool libary for most used mill tools where can simply can select pre-saved tools where you can select out a list( and maybe for specific jobs) like in cambam, would be nice if exist or can be created. makes repeated and multiply jobs much easier . And can you save your gcode per layer. (would be nice if that exist for the use for different tools/mills)

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Exist there a Qcad CAM tool libary for most used tools

Post by CVH » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:39 pm

Hi,
Andre_designer wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:35 pm
Exist there a Qcad CAM tool libary for most used mill tools where can simply can select pre-saved tools
I think not but this would answer your question:
https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?t=9196
Andre_designer wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:35 pm
And can you save your gcode per layer.
One can select entities by layer and add a profile with tool for the selected.
With the Selection Filter or setting the layer active and 'Y+' or R-click on the layer name and then 'Y+'.
But I don't think there is a tool setting per layer.

Regards,
CVH

K0nrad

Post by K0nrad » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:54 am

I decided to join this discussion because it is important issue. I use the solution described above but it is often difficult to plan tools to make a part before drawing it. Therefore I propose to introduce the possibility of creating own database of tools in one of the next versions of QCAD/CAM. The current solution is simply inconvenient. There is a need to have a database that can be accessed at any time.

Best

Konrad

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:16 pm

You can export the tools of a drawing using CAM > Export Tools. The output is a regular DXF file containing only the CAM tools.
In other drawings, you can then import tools using CAM > Import Tools.

K0nrad

Post by K0nrad » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:59 pm

Hello Andrew,
Thanks for answer.
I know this option but this implies that each individual tool should be saved in a separate dxf file. It is possible of course, however it would be more convenient if one database with several tools would be present.
Another issue is that there is a need of additional tool parameters when tool is defined in QCAD/CAM. For example, the the total length and the length of the cutting part are very important. During g-code generation cutting length could be also used for warning if the milling depth was greater than the tool cutting length.
By the way: when importing tools, I always get the message "CAM tools cannot be imported" despite the correct import operation (see image).

Best Regards

Konrad
Attachments
CAM tool cannot be imported.jpg
CAM tool cannot be imported.jpg (277.68 KiB) Viewed 11258 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:05 pm

K0nrad wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:59 pm
I know this option but this implies that each individual tool should be saved in a separate dxf file. It is possible of course, however it would be more convenient if one database with several tools would be present.
Not sure I follow. The tool export should indeed export all tools in a drawing while the tool import imports all tools from the previous export. Maybe a misunderstanding?

Andre_designer
Newbie Member

Post by Andre_designer » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:48 pm

no, i think he means a separate database/ libary with ready to use tools for multiply projects with predefined tools and where you can add and define your own tool (for example, diameter, sort mill, feeds and speeds in categories)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:59 pm

The tool export / import feature is by all but name a tool database that allows you to
- add tools (load the DXF file and add tools as you normally would, then save)
- remove tools (load the DXF file and delete tools as you normally would, then save)
- edit tools (load the DXF file and edit tools as you normally would, then save)

A predefined tool database would be difficult since QCAD/CAM can be used for milling, laser cutting, engraving, gluing, welding, etc. Mills alone range from less than a Millimeter to several Centimeters. Tool requirements are simply too individual to provide something that is generic enough to be useful.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:23 pm

K0nrad wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:59 pm
By the way: when importing tools, I always get the message "CAM tools cannot be imported" despite the correct import operation (see image).
Yep, same here on a Win10/64, QCADCAM Vers. 3.27.6.0.
I'll file a bugreport.

Edit: Bugreport filled and already fixed by Andrew.
https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.p ... sk_id=2389
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

K0nrad

Post by K0nrad » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:44 pm

Hi,

I had in mind exactly what Andre_designer wrote. Regarding the tool database: currently I see only two options in "Add CAM tool" dialog (tool type): mill and drill tool. It is a good set to start the database (btw. engraving tools fit in "mill tool" definition). In the future versions of QCAD you can add other types of tools depending on the users' requests.
Anyway, please consider adding the cutting length of the tool in "Add CAM tool" dialog and connect it with the milling depth control when g-code is generated.

Regards

Konrad

Andre_designer
Newbie Member

Post by Andre_designer » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:19 am

@andrew
if you concider this implentmentation . do than a good implentmation with a selection-window right on the screen or a clear icon and shortcut where you can select your tool of your choice. Qcad is good a package it suffice to my need only the miss of an tool-library/database is a big miss.it determined my choice from one software package to a other. The price is oke but a tool-libary/database is actually essentatial if you doing multiply projects. it is irritating/annoying when you must select over and over again your tools, feeds and speed and the tool of your selection for every project.!!

K0nrad

Post by K0nrad » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:20 pm

I fully agree with Andre_designer. Currently I run a bigger project and I have the same problem. Regarding the database: it could be based on the current solution (e.g. separate dxf files but located in the specific QCAD directory). What we need is the separate dialog called, for example, "Available CAM tools" where all predefined tools are preliminary loaded and displayed as a list. Then any user can pick desired tool and add to the current project. Similarly, newly defined tool would be saved as a separate dxf file in the specific QCAD directory. Believe me, this will increase the usability and capabilities of the software.

Regards

Konrad

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”