please help ! Developing an application for Qcad.

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

barcel
Newbie Member

please help ! Developing an application for Qcad.

Post by barcel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:01 pm

hi, I would like to develop a funtionality for Qcad, i'm not a programmer so i don't understand pretty well the jargon. I aiming to create a funtionalty to draw and count optic fiber, this aplication will storage and manage data and link that data to the drawing.
Do i have to get a Qt license for that? can i use my application in Qcad Community edition and distribute it together? i will need to hire a programmer to do this but i would like to know all i need before starting my idea. Can someone advice me ? what would be the best way and what tools do i need to have?
Thankk you in advance.

Alan :)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: please help ! Developing an application for Qcad.

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 pm

barcel wrote:Do i have to get a Qt license for that?
If your code will be written in ECMAScript (JavaScript), all you need is a copy of QCAD. Everything you need is included in QCAD. If you're planning to develop in C++, you will need a Qt license (commercial or LGPL).
barcel wrote:can i use my application in Qcad Community edition and distribute it together?
Yes, if your code is released under GPLv3 or your code resides entirely inside scripts or a plugin (recommended).

Please check first if the QCAD Community Edition has all the features you require (see https://qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features). I'm thinking especially about custom properties which are only available in QCAD Professional. Custom properties are typically used to attach data to individual entities, layers or blocks, etc. To distribute QCAD Professional with your product, each end user would require a QCAD Professional license.

Please refer also to:
http://www.qcad.org/en/license
barcel wrote:what would be the best way and what tools do i need to have?
The recommended way to extend and modify QCAD is through scripts. Think of a folder in your QCAD installation (e.g. "scripts/MyFooBar") which contains all the scripts that add, remove or modify features of the standard QCAD.

Optionally, scripts can also be bundled into a plugin (a single file loaded on start).

barcel
Newbie Member

Re: please help ! Developing an application for Qcad.

Post by barcel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Thank you for your super fast response. i think that clarify all my doubts, i can't thank you enough. I think i'll be buying the Pro version instead.
Thanks again, and keep it up with this great software, i'll be happy to contribute with it.
:D :D :D

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”