Block insertion shortcut, snap association

This forum is a place where people can cast their vote for feature requests to be implemented from a selection of the top favorites submitted to the 'Bug tracker':
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/.

Moderators: andrew, Husky, J-J

ryancousins
Premier Member

Block insertion shortcut, snap association

Post by ryancousins » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:29 pm

I just had a couple ideas and I'm curious if anyone else would find these things useful?

1- The ability to assign a shortcut to the insertion of a specific block that you use often in a drawing. So, BI inserts the currently selected block as usual, but B1-B9 would insert specific blocks, or something similar to that?

2 - The ability to associate a specific default snap tool to a specific block because you always use the same method when placing a specific block. For instance, associate the "Middle Manual" snap to a block that always needs to be placed in the center of another entity.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Block insertion shortcut, snap association

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:32 pm

Hi Ryan,
ryancousins wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:29 pm
1- The ability to assign a shortcut to the insertion of a specific block that you use often in a drawing. So, BI inserts the currently selected block as usual, but B1-B9 would insert specific blocks, or something similar to that?
Not sure about this - maybe a real world example could convince me. I already hesitate to replace a "Telling Name" like "pvc 90 degree elbow" with a shortcut called B1 (yes I know - it wouldn't be replaced but B1 will then be used instead) and means B1-B9 it will insert 9 blocks? I already forgot what I had for breakfast - how do I remember that I get a "pvc 90 degree elbow" with the B1 shortcut? May I ask you to provide a real world example?
ryancousins wrote:
2 - The ability to associate a specific default snap tool to a specific block because you always use the same method when placing a specific block. For instance, associate the "Middle Manual" snap to a block that always needs to be placed in the center of another entity.
Auto Snap works in most cases for me - not sure that I would like to limit my "snap freedom" with an associated and locked snap.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:03 am

Husky wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:32 pm

I already forgot what I had for breakfast
Haha, I know the feeling. I was just working on an architectural drawing and I needed to insert several doors and several room name/number attributes. In some cases I could just insert all the doors and then insert all the room name blocks, but in this case it was helpful to be able to switch back and forth. I wouldn't be able to remember nine different shortcuts either, maybe one or two. I just said B1-9 as a placeholder I guess.
Husky wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:32 pm

Auto Snap works in most cases for me - not sure that I would like to limit my "snap freedom" with an associated and locked snap.
I was thinking it would allow you to specify a different snap tool instead of auto, but you could just as easily not use the feature and just have it stick to auto as usual, or you could still switch to a different snap as needed. In this same floorplan drawing, I wanted to use the middle manual snap nearly every time I placed one of the room name/number identifier blocks to place the block in middle of each room, so it would have saved time to just have that snap tool invoked anytime I pull that specific block to insert. I'm envisioning a dropdown in the options toolbar or property editor when you're in the model space for a block definition and you could set a specific snap option, but if you didn't it would just default to auto as usual.

I know these aren't pressing features, but I was mostly just curious if anyone one else has come across the same workflow issues as I have.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:53 am

ryancousins wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:03 am
In this same floorplan drawing, I wanted to use the middle manual snap nearly every time I placed one of the room name/number identifier blocks to place the block in middle of each room, so it would have saved time to just have that snap tool invoked anytime I pull that specific block to insert.
It looks like I have a different drawing style than you. What you describe is something what I wouldn't do in 9 out of 10 cases. I use blocks only if I have to place the same information (Text or entities) in several location. The reason for that is that if the same information needs to be edited I can do that just with editing one block. That is the main purpose of the use of a block.

Room name/number is most likely not the same information. I would accomplish that task with the Text tool [TE] (multiple inserts) or copy/paste (multiple inserts). In either way it needs afterward a text edit. Your block method needs afterward an explode and a text edit, correct?

I agree that it sucks to activate Middle Manual [SN] again and again for every inserted item. Unfortunately in the current version you can't lock SN for "I don't know" reasons. I'll file a buckreport for that ... :wink:

Bugreport: https://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.p ... sk_id=2433
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:11 am

Husky wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:53 am
I agree that it sucks to activate Middle Manual [SN] again and again for every inserted item. Unfortunately in the current version you can't lock SN for "I don't know" reasons. I'll file a buckreport for that ..
You would find the reason here:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic. ... 801#p38801

I think that filing a bug report or a feature request will not change that point of view.

Regards,
CVH

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:49 am

ryancousins wrote:
So, BI inserts the currently selected block as usual, but B1-B9 would insert specific blocks, or something similar to that?
Like Husky I have already problems with remembering the Layer States that I defined in a drawing (Y1-Y9).
On top, they are never the same for different kinds of drawings.
The only way to figure out what state to activate is to take the long route by the Layer Menu and hoping that I gave it a meaningful name. :wink:

The same would be true for inserting Blocks.
I tend to not re-insert Blocks but just copy/paste or duplicate/move an existing Block Reference.

What you are missing here is the ability to record macro's ...
... Macro1 = Select Block called 'ABC' + Insert Block (BI) + Activate a certain Snap option (e.g. SN).
Recording macro's would be very handy for any repetitive tasks. :wink:
The question is then: How frequent would users do such repetitive tasks?

Regards,
CVH

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:14 am

CVH wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:11 am
I think that filing a bug report or a feature request will not change that point of view.
Maybe, but by all respect that doesn't means that I agree with this point of view. If I can lock other snaps like END, CENTER etc. why does that not trigger
andrew wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:07 pm
a flood of e-mails from panicking users ("help, I cannot draw lines anymore, it worked just fine before, now it doesn't [insert various insults here]").
?
If you don't snap then to END or CENTER you also can't draw a line. If you try to snap to anything else it will trigger a warning "Invalid Position". Will that trigger a flood of e-mail? If not - why not? Why will that only happen with Middle Manual?

I understand that a safe option was chosen but I think it is more confusing for user that one snap can be locked and an other one not (why again?). At the end of the day a consistent tool workflow makes a software easy to master. If I have to keep in mind (and have to know) that tools will work differently because user on different level have different expectation then I would consider that as problematic. I believe the goal should be to help everybody to reach higher level of expertise. I don't believe that the more experienced user should be forced to step down from there level of expertise.

Maybe a compromise? Lockable in QCAD Pro, not lockable in QCAD Community. :wink:

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:12 pm

Husky wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:53 am

It looks like I have a different drawing style than you. What you describe is something what I wouldn't do in 9 out of 10 cases. I use blocks only if I have to place the same information (Text or entities) in several location.
If it were just plain text, I would probably not go through the extra step of creating a block. But when it includes additional shapes like text outline rectangles, callout symbols, etc., I use a block so I have the ability to make changes to those added shapes all at once down the road if needed.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:23 pm

Husky wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:14 am
Maybe a compromise? Lockable in QCAD Pro, not lockable in QCAD Community.
Rather by Preferences like SY ... Mine is not ticked.
One could include an additional suggestion to lock SH too ... SN isn't the only exception. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Voting Corner”