FS#2448 - Scale lineweight display on model space

This forum is a place where people can cast their vote for feature requests to be implemented from a selection of the top favorites submitted to the 'Bug tracker':
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/.

Moderators: andrew, Husky, J-J

Mangy Badger
Newbie Member

FS#2448 - Scale lineweight display on model space

Post by Mangy Badger » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:05 pm

Large objects, particularly those of Civil Engineering and Architectual disciplines have trouble with various linetypes being displayed properly at scales used in these types of drawings.

The simplest solution would be to disconnect the linescale factor in paper space, making model space linescale irrelevant in paper space and allowing the dynamic linescale to print properly.

Activating the "Screen-Based Linetypes" toggle fixes this, provided all linetype scales are reset to "1" (one). However, the next time you call the drawing up, the linetypes do not show up and the only way to find these things is to again, toggle "Screen-Based Linetypes" -or- Zoom in close enough for these linetypes to appear...'cuz if you zoom in enough, you'll see thhem.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: FS#2448 - Scale lineweight display on model space

Post by CVH » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:53 pm

Hi,
The feature request is about Lineweights and not about Linetypes and how these can be/are scaled to fit specific needs.
https://qcad.org/bugtracker/index.php?d ... sk_id=2448

Weights are the pen sizes and these don't scale at all.
These are invariant physical properties of refillable pens with ink .... For example:
https://www.schleiper.com/onlinecatalog ... nt?lang=en
You may discover there the exact same sizes as the most common CAD Lineweights.

When Screen based Linetypes (and weights) is active it is again represented visually in a pixel based hybrid form.
So that a thick line looks a bit thicker than thin lines and there is a minimum of 1px.
A representation ... Not an actual real world size.

Say you zoom out in Model view factor 100 ... A line in pen size 1mm would reduce to a fraction of a pixel wide.
Should it be displayed or not? Best choice is yes otherwise your drawing panel would quickly turn empty.
Now zoom back out and zoom further out factor 100 ... The same pen would now span 100mm wide or about 380px in 96 dpi.
A line in this pen is about 1/3 of my screen height.
Would you consider that workable?

On paper this pen will always draw a 1mm or about 0.394" thick line, disregarding the paper size and a paper scale.
And with Screen based Linetypes turned OFF it will display 1mm wide converted to any drawing unit (with a minimum of 1px).

# EDIT # Fixed typos, added Bugtracker link.

Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:01 pm

Mangy Badger wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:05 pm
Large objects, particularly those of Civil Engineering and Architectual disciplines have trouble with various linetypes being displayed properly at scales used in these types of drawings.
May I correct this statement? This is an often found misunderstanding of the issue. Actualy the problem is that the linetype IS PROPERLY DISPLAYED by Qcad.
Based on the typical design of a linetype plus the chosen zoom/scale factor the human eye is not anymore able to differentiate those tiny lines and gaps what then will look like a solid line. Don't blame Qcad - blame the design of a human eye ... :lol:
Mangy Badger wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:05 pm
Activating the "Screen-Based Linetypes" toggle fixes this, provided all linetype scales are reset to "1" (one). However, the next time you call the drawing up, the linetypes do not show up and the only way to find these things is to again, toggle "Screen-Based Linetypes" -or- Zoom in close enough for these linetypes to appear...'cuz if you zoom in enough, you'll see thhem.
Make it default below:
Application Preferences / Grafic view / Apearance / Linetypes and Lineweights:
Auto switch to Screen based linetypes in model view = ticked / on.

Just for the records: A line weight is never part of a print scale etc.. The chosen weight/pen size is and sticks to the chosen value. E.g a 0.5 weith will print 0.5 no matter what the print scale is. Basically the same like your times as a board Draftsperson. Accordenly to the planed scale of the drawing YOU opted for the correct pen size - that is nowadays still the same approach with CAD.
Don't count on a proper scale of the Lineweights - it will not happen ...
Again - a logical thing, isn't it? :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:43 am

Husky wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:01 pm
Don't count on a proper scale of the Lineweights - it will not happen ...
Right, it will not and there is no logical reason to.

As far as I can recall the largest pen size with ink that I ever used was 1.80mm.
Image that in scale 24 ... That would require a physical pen with a nozzle of 43.2mm wide.
You need a bucket full of ink with that. :lol: :wink:

What I find the most disturbing is that the open feature request on Bugtracker is about scaling weights.
While Mangy Badger his so said linked topic handles about nothing but Linetypes.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:19 am

CVH wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:43 am
What I find the most disturbing is that the open feature request on Bugtracker is about scaling weights.
While Mangy Badger his so said linked topic handles about nothing but Linetypes.
Disturbing? - Not by any means!

CAD terms can be confusing for beginner and user just occasionally working with CAD. The best help you can offer is to be tolerant, not hairsplitting, patient and able to read between the lines. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:30 am

Whatever, Lineweights (the pen size) and Linetypes (the line pattern) are two totally different properties.
I didn't use the term unrelated because types scale can be weight related or not by preference.

Mangy Badger
Newbie Member

Post by Mangy Badger » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:49 pm

Please delete this message post. What was I thinking?

Don't bother responding as I have no intentions of contributing to this Forum. My apologies.

You folks have great resources on your website, and if I can't figure it out...I'll just suck it up.

Seasons Greetings

Return to “QCAD Voting Corner”