Edit Block Layer 0 has to be on - WHY

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

lorenzen
Newbie Member

Edit Block Layer 0 has to be on - WHY

Post by lorenzen » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Why must layer 0 be on when editing a block ?

If this for some reason has to be so, why is it an option, why is it not just on automatically ??

version 2.1.6.4

/Peter
A Dane in England

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Edit Block Layer 0 has to be on - WHY

Post by andrew » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:50 pm

lorenzen wrote:Why must layer 0 be on when editing a block ?

If this for some reason has to be so, why is it an option, why is it not just on automatically ??

version 2.1.6.4

/Peter
This does not have to be so in general.

The most common problem with layers and blocks is:

1. every entity inside a block in on a layer
2. every block instance (insert) is also on a layer

If the layer of the block instance is '0' that means that those inserts are only visible if layer '0' is on, regardless of the layer the individual entities of the block are on.

If the individual entities inside the block are on layer '0', that means that those entities of the block instances are only visible if layer '0' is on. It also means that when editing the block, those entities of the block are only visible if layer '0' is on.

If you have troubles keeping track of what layers your block instances are on, you may want to just put all block instances on a particular layer, e.g. layer 'inserts' or layer '0' if you prefer.

lorenzen
Newbie Member

Re: Edit Block Layer 0 has to be on - WHY

Post by lorenzen » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:41 pm

I am learning as I go along, trying to create some usefull habits. so maybe the right thing is to use layer 0 in blocks.

My current strategy is to use one layer for each block. I was copying from layer 0 to another, using ctrl-A, Move/Copy, 0,0 for both reference and target, select Delete, use current attributes and layer and have the desired layer selected before all this.

Before I was moving from 0 to what-ever and saw that layer zero always had to be selected.

Now I have tried to move one layer to another layer the same way, and the result is almost as before, now the source layer has to be on now (layer 0 does not) - both the source and the target layer has to be enbled to se it.

The subject line was my conclusion based on my observation, it should probably "When editing a block why does the source layer have to be enabled, even after it is moved to another layer.

/Peter
A Dane in England

rwells

blocks and layer "0"

Post by rwells » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:03 pm

This business of blocks appearing on the designated layer as well as layer "0" is definitely an odds with the way autocad treats them. IMHO they should only appear on the layer where the INSERT operation put them.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: blocks and layer "0"

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:24 pm

rwells wrote:This business of blocks appearing on the designated layer as well as layer "0" is definitely an odds with the way autocad treats them. IMHO they should only appear on the layer where the INSERT operation put them.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. Block inserts can be on any layer, not just layer "0". Like any other entities, block inserts are on exactly one layer at all times. Entities inside blocks can also be on any layer, also exactly one layer each.

This provides some important functionality.

If all entities inside a block would be forced to be on the same layer as the insert, they would also all have the same attributes (color, line style, line width) as the insert. Further it would not be possible to for example hide all center lines (including those inside blocks).

Please let me know how you think autocad handles the situation differently.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”