Scale dimensions

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

ttrw

Scale dimensions

Post by ttrw » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:04 am

Guys,

How do I scale a drawing without altering the dimensions? (It's totally awesome that this works how it does anyway!)

For example if a dimension measures 150mm before scaling and 200mm after scaling, how can I keep the re-scaled drawing to stay at 150mm?

It's probably really simple, and in fact I think I've worked a way round the problem already- but I'm working now in industry and I'm using QCad (one of PTC's many worldwide offices is in the Science park over the road from here- howabout that for QCad Kudos, Andrew?? :shock: :lol: ), and these drawings have to be on my boss's desktop by Thursday this week. :shock:

Tom (now with BSc (Hons) and still armed with QCad!)
Macbook Pro 2.14gHz 10.5.5 (UNIX!)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:24 pm

The short answer is that this is something you should not do in CAD. Everything should be constructed 1:1 and only scaled for printing in the print preview, which does not modify the drawing in any way.

If you really want to have dimensions that show a value other than the measurement, you would have to type a static value for the label, for example with the property editor of QCad.

Another possibility is to explode the dimensions before scaling them. Exploding a dimension creates some lines, two triangles for the arrows and a text label.

ggsalas

Post by ggsalas » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:17 pm

andrew wrote:The short answer is that this is something you should not do in CAD. Everything should be constructed 1:1 and only scaled for printing in the print preview, which does not modify the drawing in any way.
The problem is that some planes need drawings at different scales. I tried building blocks when working "inside of the window of the block" measured well, but when you work in the original plan, no.

The problem is published in this query: http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rsforum/viewtopic.php?t=580
andrew wrote: Another possibility is to explode the dimensions before scaling them. Exploding a dimension creates some lines, two triangles for the arrows and a text label.
It is not a solution, the drawings become difficult to modify.

Thank you.
Greetings.

stjohn
Newbie Member

making detail sections - 'Detail A'

Post by stjohn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi,
I am having a similar problem in that I would like to 'detail' small sections of the drawing on the same page. I don't want to change any shown dimensions simply magnify up a small section of the drawing and mark it say like 'detail a' in a circle or similar. How would I do that?

If I copy and scale an area of course the dimensions also scale which is not what you want for a detail area....

many thanks,
John

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:25 pm

The only two options I can think of to do this are:

- break up the dimensions of the magnified part, then scale
- scale part, then manually change the dimension labels with the property editor

stjohn
Newbie Member

scale dimensions

Post by stjohn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi,
Andrew, ok thanks.

regards,
John

stjohn
Newbie Member

Select and scale part of a drawing only to print....

Post by stjohn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi Andrew,
is it possible to select and then scale only part of a drawing to send to the print file i.e. the part I want to detail ....

many thanks,
John

rwsoft
Registered Member

Scaling and Dimensions

Post by rwsoft » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:11 am

I've been having similar issue's with scaling and dimensions.

I've been using 2.0 Community Edition to draft up prototype CNC Mill tooling, which has been extremely small tools. I'll CAD up each part and detailed views in their own blocks at 1:1 scale. Then to insert these blocks into the final drawing at a viewable scales changes the dimensions. It's easy enough to fix by manual entering the label properties, but as I machine the prototypes, many changes are usually made meaning I have to clear all the labels to ensure all the dimensions are correct, then manually enter them again for the printed version... tedious.

Also having a single global size for dimensions has become a problem. This is fine for the final printed version, but since my drafted 1:1 scaled blocks are considerably smaller than the printed version, my dimensions in the blocks are huge and impossible to work with. I'm constantly have to change to global dimension size while working on the drawing... tedious.

I was hoping these were non-issues in the pro editions, but this doesn't seems to be the case (I hope I'm wrong here). I know this isn't the forum for proposals, but this post is right on topic. Two possible fixes:

1. Have the dimensions get their values from the blocks in which they were created, despite of where the blocks are inserted and scaled to.
2. Allow blocks to override the global size settings (their own private settings) when editing them in their own windows.

At work I use Solid Works, Master CAM and AutoCAD and use QCAD for my own personal designs. I'm impressed with QCAD, but this issue is a real problem (the time and effort needed to create the final drawing and maintain it). As soon as a reasonable solution is implemented for this my check is in the mail :wink:. Keep up the good work!

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”