QCAD produced broken file, large parts missing

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

the2masters
Newbie Member

QCAD produced broken file, large parts missing

Post by the2masters » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 am

Hi,
I have a problem loading my dxf-file, created yesterday in QCAD. Large parts of the drawing are missing. I can see from my hourly backups, that the file grow every hour while working on it. But when loading the different backups, the last 5 backups look the same in QCAD, large parts are missing. I tried saving the corrupt files again, then all the backups shrink to same small size. The file is saved onto a network-drive, mounted onto a drive letter in windows 7.

I tried opening the files in Autocad Trueview, but Trueview crashes immediately. Then I tried several different DWG Viewers, and a Software called "Solidworks edrawings viewer" is able to open the file and all the missing Parts are there! So it seems QCAD has problems opening it's own file, or QCAD put some correctable errors into file while saving it.
How can I rescue my file? Is saving onto a network-drive not supported?

I'm using:
QCAD 3.9.6 from qcad.org, deleted the Demo-Plugins.
No additional addons, working on Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
Network drive is on a Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

I can send the files via private message.

Cheers,
Stefan

the2masters
Newbie Member

Re: QCAD produced broken file, large parts missing

Post by the2masters » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:05 am

Can it be related to autosave? Maybe if I press ctrl-s (save) while QCAD is doing an autosave? Saving the file onto the network drive takes 1 - 3 seconds, during this time the QCAD Gui hangs.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:18 am

No. Note that autosave always saves to another file (~filename.dxf for filename.dxf).

It might be related to dxflib which is used by the free QCAD Community Edition only.

the2masters
Newbie Member

Post by the2masters » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:39 am

Finally I fixed my file!
I saved a broken file to get the small file with all missing content. Then I diffed this file to the original file and found a Text entry, with an empty line after my custom text. Removing this single empty line fixed the whole file and saved me 5 hours of work :-)
I'm using Text-objects of type "Simple text", and sometimes copy / paste content with a trailing newline into the text-field. Normally it's no problem, as the "Simple text" will simply convert the newline into a space which I can ignore. But it looks like this time a newline went into the dxf-file and destroyed the whole file.

Following an extract of the broken dxf-file:

Code: Select all

TEXT
18F
AcDbEntity
AcDbText
BYLAYER
My Custom Text with trailing newline

textstyle0
AcDbText
ENDSEC
SECTION