Tip - Working with Viewports and the View-list in QCAD 3

Tips and tricks you want to share with other users. Tutorials, user submitted documentation, etc.

Moderator: andrew

Clive

Tip - Working with Viewports and the View-list in QCAD 3

Post by Clive » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Guys
Often when working on a project it is useful to have more than one view of the drawing. More than one 'Viewport' can be set up in QCAD 3 either for the current drawing you are working on or indeed as the default set-up which will apply to all new drawings.
Also it is useful to return to a particular view when you need to - without panning or zooming in or out to 'get back' to that particular view. We can add a particular view to the 'view list' in QCAD 3 quite easily.
To explain and clarify these 'nifty' features please refer to the following snap shots!
Attachments
working with View ports and the View list.png
working with View ports and the View list.png (99.27 KiB) Viewed 20574 times
setting up viewports.png
setting up viewports.png (78.2 KiB) Viewed 20574 times
view list.png
view list.png (103.58 KiB) Viewed 20574 times
View list 1 smaller.png
View list 1 smaller.png (73.11 KiB) Viewed 20574 times
View list 4 smaller.png
View list 4 smaller.png (37.76 KiB) Viewed 20574 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Tip - Working with Viewports and the View-list in QCAD 3

Post by Husky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:28 am

XP, QCAD3

Hi Clive,

I like to work with Viewports and the View List .... but I have a couple question regarding this topic :shock:

Question:
1. I know that I'm able to save my choice (2, 3, 4 windows etc) of Viewports with the drawing - but if I reopen this drawing the arrangement is lost and the last used views are gone. Makes it sense to save something although I have to rearrange everything new?

2. If I decide to use the Viewports as default for every new drawing and mark this in the Application Preferences - I can open a new drawing with the correct number of Viewports but the arrangement has nothing to do with the Preview in the settings. :roll: (and yes - I restarted QCAD ....) :wink:

3. The Scrollbar for each window has the same size like the normal used scrollbars for windows. If you are working on a normal size Monitor it "steals" a lot of "working space". Is there any possibility to make the scrollbars half(?) size wide .....

4. I thing the Viewports and the View List belongs together - is there any option to put this function on the "View List" Tool Bar instead to go the long way over the "Drawing preferences" Menu?

* [Edit: View Ports now retain their position after opening/closing in QCAD 3 final ]

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:00 am

Hi there Husky
Thanks for your feedback and valid suggestions here. My initial reason for submitting this post was to 'high light' the advantages of using the Viewport and View-list features!
As regards to the window arrangements not remaining persistent I had submitted a bug report already - see here:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/in ... ask_id=629
Hopefully this will be corrected :wink:
For now, for me anyway I can easily just pull the windows to the position I need (I know it needs doing every time - but at least we can still use this feature).

* [Edit: View Ports now retain their position after opening/closing in QCAD 3 final ]

Your suggestions in 3 and 4 of your list seem very logical to me and I agree with them, I think you should add them to the 'ever growing' feature list 8)

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:50 am

clive wrote:... My initial reason for submitting this post was to 'high light' the advantages of using the Viewport and View-list features!
I thing it is a good idea to give the user "on side" information to explore or ..... remember those functions in QCAD. Keep doing that :wink:
clive wrote: As regards to the window arrangements not remaining persistent I had submitted a bug report already - see here:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/in ... ask_id=629
Hopefully this will be corrected :wink:
Would be nice!!! 8)

clive wrote:Your suggestions in 3 and 4 of your list seem very logical to me and I agree with them, I think you should add them to the 'ever growing' feature list 8)
Yep, I will do that ;-)

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:11 am

Husky wrote: I thing it is a good idea to give the user "on side" information to explore or ..... remember those functions in QCAD. Keep doing that :wink:
Thanks Husky.
If you get the time - feel free to add your own info, tips etc. I know you have a lot of useful knowledge with QCAD :wink:

Return to “QCAD Tips and Tutorials”