Installed font does not display

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

algrass

Installed font does not display

Post by algrass » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:06 pm

I installed a bespoke font and although I can select the character of the installed font in the Text Dialogue Box and change its size, once I click OK the character does not appear on the cursor. The file is encoded .ttf. I have tried other font files of mine, either .ttf or .otf and they have worked, but this particular one is not displaying at all. Other than in the Text selection dialogue box.
Any idea what the reason might be?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Installed font does not display

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 pm

If you can provide the font file (ttf), we can look into it.

algrass

Post by algrass » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:41 am

Hi, here is the file. It comprises only the Roman Numerals. The other character I added just to provide some display. When you install it you may not see it listed because the capitals are missing but you will see a gap usually down the R section of the list. I am only interested in the Roman numerals for this versions of the font, hence the reason for the placement of X, XI and XII in the QWE keyboard position respectively.
Qcad version:3.15.4.0 (3.15.4)

Please note:

I tried to load the file as Roman Numerals Bold.ttf but it would not load. A dialogue box came up saying that it was an invalid file extension. I therefore changed the extension to .jpg and the file loaded. When you come to test it you need to change the extension from .jpg back to .ttf and it should work as a .ttf file. The file contains the characters shown in the screenshot file below.

I cannot understand why the ttf file would not load.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 08.38.16.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 08.38.16.png (86.72 KiB) Viewed 6197 times

algrass

Post by algrass » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:55 am

Addendum

Hi I opened myfile.dwg into Progecad 2018 for Windows, I use this rarely as I have to switch to Bootcamp on my iMac and for this reason I prefer to use QCAD. In Projecad 2018 I was able to add the characters of Roman Numerals Bold.ttf into a dedicated pre-existing layer defined in QCAD and they loaded fine. Saved and then reopened the same file in QCAD, but the layer with the Roman Numerals is empty. I suspect an issue with QCAD.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks for your report. We will look into it when time permits. Please note that QCAD uses third party libraries to load and render TTF, so this might not be fixable on the QCAD side. We would also need the TTF file to look into this...

algrass

Post by algrass » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi,
I resolved the problem. It was due to the character set being incomplete. I thought it was illogical why one font set should work and another one should not simply because it had a shorter character set. I therefore added some glyphs to the majuscules and minuscules character set, even if I did not need them in this instance, and then re-encoded the file as an .otf and it worked perfectly. I suspect therefore that the way QCAD interfaces with .otf and .ttf files assumes the presence of the basic alphabet list and possibly because those character also determine how the file is read. Without them QCAD was probably confused with what to display.

Sorry for causing you any alarm.

There are some bugs however with the choice of alignment selected from the Text dialogue box. If the character is placed at an angle other than the orthogonal angles, the selected alignment often is not on the character but away from it. I could work round this issue but it should be looked at.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”