[solved] Very Strange Behavior - Corrupt DXF?

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

HappyShat

[solved] Very Strange Behavior - Corrupt DXF?

Post by HappyShat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 am

Got a strange problem with a DXF that originally came from a step file exported from Solidworks. The step file was then opened in FreeCAD; a DXF was exported from FreeCAD and opened in QCAD.

When I opened the DXF in QCAD the drawing exhibited very odd and unstable behavior. So, I decided to create a new layer (in the same DXF) and redraw the entire pattern. But, I ran into problems (many very strange problems) while attempting to redraw.

I’ve documented one of the strange errors by creating and uploading a video to YouTube (link below). The video shows one issue of many issues working with the new layers I've created. I’ve attached the DXF as well.

https://youtu.be/25Co4dtvyQM

What’s going on here? Is this just a corrupt DXF file? And, if it is then what would be a good way to fix this?

I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this.

Perhaps I should create a new, blank, DXF and just manually copy the pattern over to the new DXF created by QCAD.

I'm running Windows 11 Pro and QCAD Pro Version 3.24.3.0
Attachments
possessed_drawing.dxf
(215.72 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Very Strange Behavior - Corrupt DXF?

Post by Husky » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 am

Hi,
I'm out of town why I can't check your dxf. Nevertheless knowing where the dxf came from I assume it has still 3D ballast. Try below Menu . Misc .. Modify .. Flatten Drawing to 2D and test the behaviour again.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

HappyShat

Re: Very Strange Behavior - Corrupt DXF?

Post by HappyShat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 am

Worked! Many Thanks!

https://youtu.be/dGeI8_FkXLM

CVH
Premier Member

Re: [solved] Very Strange Behavior - Corrupt DXF?

Post by CVH » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

HappyShat,

As is, there where 45 visible and 533 invisible entities with NonZeroZ coordinates out of 602 drawing entities.
QCAD is capable loading such files and even creating such files. (QCAD/CAM exploits 3D information in toolpaths)
Functional up to a point, QCAD drawing tools are mostly intended for 2D actions.

Arcs for example can only exists in a flat plane ... Indicating center and endpoints in Z may result in a radius related to distances in 3D.
Things in Z may not actually touch or intersect ... They cross at different Z levels.
And so on. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”