Add point after given distance on polyline or spline

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

yetanotheruser

Add point after given distance on polyline or spline

Post by yetanotheruser » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 am

Imagine a spline (or polyline, as we can convert from spline to polyline) with a length of 10 cm. I want to add a point after a given distance, e.g. 3 cm.
The point shall not change the shape of the spline, but it shall be a point that's already on the spline but until now not selectable by me as an end-user, as I did not specify this point while creating the spline.

Finally I
- want to use the new "3 cm point" to draw a line that ends in this new "3 cm point"
- or want to extract the part from start/end of the spline until the "3 cm point".

How is that possible using QCAD?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Add point after given distance on polyline or spline

Post by Husky » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:37 am

yetanotheruser wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 am
- want to use the new "3 cm point" to draw a line that ends in this new "3 cm point"
This isn't clear to me. :oops:
Why do you need a point/node at that 3 cm point? For snapping the line to it?
yetanotheruser wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:40 am
- or want to extract the part from start/end of the spline until the "3 cm point".
That is possible with the "Lengthen/Shorten (LE)" Tool if the entity is a line, arc or polyline. The same tool can be used for a workaround to find this 3 cm point for the line ...

An example dxf/dwg would help to get a better idea about what you are trying to accomplish ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”