QCad --> Sketchup ?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

QCad --> Sketchup ?

Post by Husky » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Is there still a way to export/import the QCad files (dxf, dwg) to Sketchup (free edition)? Just to use the 2D drawings as a basic to pep it up to 3D drawings?

Clive

Re: QCad --> Sketchup ?

Post by Clive » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:18 pm

Husky wrote:Is there still a way to export/import the QCad files (dxf, dwg) to Sketchup (free edition)? Just to use the 2D drawings as a basic to pep it up to 3D drawings?
No, not any more - you used to be able to but now the 'Free' version is crippled for this! I suppose the Sketch-up boys and girls need to earn a living too.

Husky

Post by Husky » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:13 pm

clive wrote:No, not any more - you used to be able to but now the 'Free' version is crippled for this!
Hi clive - thanks for your response!

Jep - you are right .... they clipped that out :cry:

I use an other programs for Gears what is able to export in a .dae Format what is then readable by Sketchup 8. It is not a perfect solution but it is a workaround what saves a lot of time.
Would be nice to have something like that for QCad ... :wink:

Ok, here is a workaround for Sketchup 8.
Download and install also Sketchup7 Pro - don't worry about the Pro - it turns after 24h in a free Version.
Download and install the app for SK7 "AllowDWGImportInSketchUp7.msi"

QCad: Load the drawing what you like to use in Sketchup - remove everything what you don't need - and save it as a R2007/LT2007 drawing (*.dwg) with a new File name.

Open SK7 -> import the .dwg -> save as a .skp (Sketchup files) -> open SK8 -> open this particular .skp and you are ready to start with your 3D modeling.

Makes this sense in all cases: NO! If you have a small drawing it might be easier to design it new in Sketchup. If you have something like me right now with Millions (I'm kidding) pieces -> YES! Because I'm a lazy guy :wink:

Why I haven't used the Isometrics function from QCad (which is really good!) .... because from time to time you need more flexibility ....

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Husky wrote:I use an other programs for Gears what is able to export in a .dae Format what is then readable by Sketchup 8. It is not a perfect solution but it is a workaround what saves a lot of time.
Would be nice to have something like that for QCad ... :wink:
Maybe you can add a feature request Husky - hint, hint :wink:
Husky wrote:Why I haven't used the Isometrics function from QCad (which is really good!) .... because from time to time you need more flexibility ....
For most 2D drafting the Isometric Projection tools in QCAD are fine, obviously you will need to do some further modifying when using these tools if you want to draw an Isometric layout! I am personally waiting for an isometric grid in QCAD - now this will step up the pace when it happens and I`m sure it will happen in the near future :D

3D solid modelling is an entirely different animal as you know and there are many good programs out there including 'Sketch-up' and I agree it would be great if QCAD in the future could export to additional
file types including .3ds, .dae etc... which I`m sure would bring in more users to the world of QCAD, people looking for a good 2D to 3D workflow 8)

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Clive - thanks for you PM. For an answer you have to turn on your PM Function .... :wink:

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks, I,ve been away on vacation for a while and forgot to turn everything back on.
All on now.

Clive

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 pm

clive wrote:Maybe you can add a feature request Husky - hint, hint :wink:
Done: :roll:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/in ... &sort=desc
clive wrote:... which I`m sure would bring in more users to the world of QCAD, people looking for a good 2D to 3D workflow 8)
Absolutely right! 8)
I'm more the 2D Guy but 3D helps tremendous to present something to customer/coworker or students which are not so familiar with 2D and have trouble to read a technical Drawing. I think QCad should have an open door to this 3D world ... :wink:

PM is out!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”