Reference snap to ring, donut...

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jancarel
Newbie Member

Reference snap to ring, donut...

Post by jancarel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:24 pm

I am using Qcad Pro 3.11, Linux 32bit. I am trying to create a printed circuit board layout. The newly added feature Draw-Ring is verry helpful. Using Snap Reference I can only snap to two points on the X axis. How can I snap to the two reference points on the Y axis?
Selection_053.png
Example of Snap-Reference to a Ring...
Selection_053.png (10.49 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
Thanks for your help,

Jan

P.S. Qcad Pro is a great program. Thank for the good work...

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Reference snap to ring, donut...

Post by Husky » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi jancarel,
jancarel wrote:Using Snap Reference I can only snap to two points on the X axis.
This tool is also new to me but I have to confirm that your experience is correct. Snapping to the top or bottom Y Reference points is impossible without exploding the ring. :cry:

jancarel wrote:How can I snap to the two reference points on the Y axis?
If you create a new ring you can use the reference point option to place your Ring precisely to a x or y connections.
Husky-2015.10.07-02.png
Husky-2015.10.07-02.png (77.72 KiB) Viewed 5338 times

I think you should file a bug report / feature request in the QCAD bugtracker .... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:09 pm

As you might have noticed, a ring is in fact a polyline with two vertices. The two reference points are the two vertices of the polyline. A possible solution could be to add reference points to all middle points of arcs as well.

jancarel
Newbie Member

Post by jancarel » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:06 pm

andrew wrote:As you might have noticed, a ring is in fact a polyline with two vertices. The two reference points are the two vertices of the polyline. A possible solution could be to add reference points to all middle points of arcs as well.
Thanks Andrew, this is the solution. Snap to endpoint for left/right and Snap to middle for top/bottom. This works well...

And thank you for Qcad, a great program...

Jan

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:17 pm

jancarel wrote:Snap to endpoint for left/right and Snap to middle for top/bottom.
Yes, that should work, good point. Auto snap should also work if it's configured to snap to end and middle points.

jancarel
Newbie Member

Post by jancarel » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:48 am

Hi Husky,

Thanks for your thoughts. Now that I know that the ring is made out of two halves, I can use Snap End for left/right and Snap Middle for top/bottom. This works fine. For me there is no need to file a Bug Report...

Jan

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”