Updating without uninstalling manually

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

0xdeadbeef

Updating without uninstalling manually

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Any chance to rework the Windows installer to update without manually uninstalling the previous version first?
It's always a bit of a drag. And yes, most of the time it works to unzip the new version over the older one, but then again sometimes it doesn't.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Updating without uninstalling manually

Post by andrew » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:52 pm

0xdeadbeef wrote:Any chance to rework the Windows installer to update without manually uninstalling the previous version first?
It's always a bit of a drag. And yes, most of the time it works to unzip the new version over the older one, but then again sometimes it doesn't.
There is actually a good reason why the installer can not be used to overwrite the current version.

The recommended (best) way to install a new version of QCAD (or other critical software) on any platform is as follows:
- Leave the currently installed, working version of QCAD untouched in its installation directory (e.g. "QCAD_3_10_0")
- Download and install the new version into a new, dedicated directory (e.g. called "QCAD_3_11_0")
- Start using the new version...
- If there are any problems with the new version, report the problem and revert to using the old, still installed version (e.g. in "QCAD_3_10_0") instead
- When the next new version comes out, you might want to delete the oldest version still installed to make space

Keep in mind that every single update of any software can potentially break things.

0xdeadbeef

Post by 0xdeadbeef » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:14 am

Yeah, but if I'd do it this way, I had already 13 QCAD installations or so.
Besides, if the installer would replace an existing installation (if requested) instead of insisting to install to a different folder, downgrading would be as fast and easy as upgrading.
I mean: it's nice and all that you can use two different versions in parallel and for sure I don't want you to change this. But for people who don't need several versions of the same tool in different folders, the option to install over an existing installation would be really favorable.

hungerburg
Premier Member

Post by hungerburg » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:28 pm

0xdeadbeef wrote:Yeah, but if I'd do it this way, I had already 13 QCAD installations or so.
Funny to read this; I actually do NOT install on my Ubuntu System, but use the tgz instead, extract to /opt/ and symlink the new directory to /opt/qcad, so all shortcuts remain valid. I even had to revert, but maybe once or twice only, and I have been following qcad development since the 2 era.

Yet, on my MS workplace where I use the installer, I also rather had the installer take care of that, probably it could call out the uninstall from the warning dialog, or it could suggest a versioned install directory (Dont know how windows software management handles such)?

TGC
Registered Member

Post by TGC » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:11 am

Just had to install Pro Version manually using zip file because the installer would not generate new install directory - kept saying directory existed even when nothing actually written to disk. Very frustrating. Tried four or five different directory names - still wouldn't start installation. Then if clicked on "ignore" the installer just said it couldn't copy assistant.exe, then main exe etc etc. Reason for trying pro also not satisfactory ... v3.9 would not import SVG files properly - all text is missing; thought it might be solved with new 3.11 Pro version - no help - same problem - linework comes in OK, but not text.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:21 am

TGC wrote:v3.9 would not import SVG files properly - all text is missing; thought it might be solved with new 3.11 Pro version - no help - same problem - linework comes in OK, but not text.
SVG import is indeed limited to geometry at this point.

TGC
Registered Member

Post by TGC » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:45 pm

Is there a workround to get the text data ? ... and I guess is there a plan to upgrade the import function so that text does get imported?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:58 pm

TGC wrote:Is there a workround to get the text data ? ... and I guess is there a plan to upgrade the import function so that text does get imported?
There are currently no plans to import other features from SVG than the raw geometry.

Matfie

Post by Matfie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:35 pm

On installation, (at least for Windows 10) is it possible to have an entry added to the start menu? I don't know how this works, but QCAD does not show up there after installation..

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”