Zoom Pan suggestion (and mouse usage suggestions)

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD Professional.

Moderator: andrew

silaste

Zoom Pan suggestion (and mouse usage suggestions)

Post by silaste » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:11 am

Using the middle mouse button for Zoom Pan is not so good because you very easily scroll the wheel while trying to move around causing unwanted zooming in and out. So how about using the right mouse button while holding SHIFT (or CTRL) down instead? This way the right mouse button would still retain its normal behaviour when not using the modificator key.

In general I think that using modificators (SHIFT, CTRL, ALT, and combinations) for modifying mouse button behaviour would bring a lot more fast access functionality for mouse using. Best of all if the user could specify which tools he wants on which MODIFICATOR-mousebutton combination. Everyone has their own preferences, no need to force them on the user.

regards: Seppo
Ubuntu 7.10 | QCad 2.2.2.0

txsbaker
Newbie Member

No thank you.

Post by txsbaker » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:34 am

Actually, I prefer the way it is now. It is very easy to use once you are used to it, and many ACAD users are already because its the same in both apps. Maybe if it were a user preference, then you could customize it without compromising it for those who like it.

Thanks.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Zoom Pan suggestion (and mouse usage suggestions)

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:10 am

silaste wrote:Using the middle mouse button for Zoom Pan is not so good because you very easily scroll the wheel while trying to move around causing unwanted zooming in and out.
I know exactly what you mean. I used to have a mouse that had the same problem (a mouse wheel that turns too easily). A middle mouse button that cannot be clicked without turning the wheel is useless, not only for QCAD.

Maybe a different mouse might just solve the problem without requiring more work to zoom or pan.

silaste

Post by silaste » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:13 am

Because people have different preferences and workhabits is exactly why I think commands/actions should be user definable to hotkeys and mouse buttons. I for one would like to have CTRL-C for copy with reference. Copy without reference is pretty useless to me.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:25 am

Because people have different preferences and workhabits is exactly why I think commands/actions should be user definable to hotkeys and mouse buttons.
I didn't mean to disagree with this, in fact I totally agree and it will happen. However, it will take a major release (QCAD 3) which still takes several months to complete.

silaste

Post by silaste » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:42 am

Ok Andrew. But please remember to also make the mouse actions configurable, not only the hotkeys.

And for the record: I'm not writing here because I'm dissatisfied with QCAD. It's just the opposite. It's because I really like it that I bother to comment and hopefully be of some small help.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Suggestions and Feedback”