Scaling tool

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD Professional.

Moderator: andrew

tomate
Newbie Member

Scaling tool

Post by tomate » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:06 am

Hi Andrew,
I have been a user of the community edition for several years and recently switched to the pro edition.
First, I would like to thank you a lot for releasing the open-source Community Edition, it is great to a have such a great Cad Software in all the major Linux distros.
I think it would be really great if it was possible to change the dimensions of an object in the same way as in Inkscape : the dimensions of the bounding box of an object are displayed in the upper side of the window and can be edited, to scale it.
I think that, most of the time, we now the desired dimensions of the object, not the scaling factor. It is a bit annoying to have to calculate this factor everytime we want to scale something.
I am sorry if my english is not very good : I am french.
Best regards,

Off topic : Here are some examples of what I use Qcad for :
http://www.grellier.fr/plans.php?page=&lang=en

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks for the link! It's always interesting to know what people are using QCAD for.

Thanks for the suggestion for scaling. For now, please note that in the scaling dialog you can also enter formulas for the factor. If your part is 40mm wide and should be 50mm, you can enter 50/40 for the scale factor (i.e. desired size/current size).

tomate
Newbie Member

Post by tomate » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:56 pm

Andrew,
Thanks for the tip. It removes the need for an external calculator, that's great.
But it is still needed to measure the actual size of the object before scaling.
What is, in my opinion, very "user-friendly" in the Inkscape approach, is that the size fields in the upper toolbar have 2 uses : they display the actual size of the object, and can be edited to change the size.
But I can understand that it might not be very easy to port to Qcad, especially regarding the problem of the choice of the reference point.
Thanks again.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Suggestions and Feedback”