editing splines

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD Professional.

Moderator: andrew

peter345
Newbie Member

editing splines

Post by peter345 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:21 pm

I've just take a look on QCAD demo 2.2.1.0, and at a first glance I like it.

However, I have some questions about working with splines, which I was unable to answer with the documentation:

1.) How can I add/remove control points to/from existing splines?
2.) How can I modify the multiplicity of a control point? It is possible to move multiple control points to the same position, and the spline correctly "sharpens" at that position. But how can I move a single one of those multiple control points at a position to somewhere else, in order to get a smooth curve again?
3.) Is there any way to use splines as part of a poly line?
4.) What are the specific plans regarding splines support for future releases?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

peter345
Newbie Member

editing splines

Post by peter345 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Sorry, something went wrong here. The message was meant for the "pre-sales questions" forum, and I am pretty sure I have chosen that explicitly.

Maybe some admin is able to move the message there.

Thanks,
Peter

andrew
Site Admin

Re: editing splines

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 pm

Spline support in QCad is very basic at this point. This is mainly because splines are rarely used in most areas of mechanical engineering, architecture or schematics design.

It is not possible to add control points, remove control points or modify their multiplicity. Adding multiple control points in one location to sharpen the spline is possible. You won't be able to separate them again later though.

Splines cannot be part of a polyline.

Spline support will improve over time but does not have top priority.

peter345
Newbie Member

Post by peter345 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks for your quick answer.

It's a pity, since from a traffic engineering's point of view, irregular shapes are quite important. At least adding and removing control points should be a possible to make the splines feature usable. I cannot replace a whole spline every time I realize a control point is missing.

Is that already on a road map?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:03 pm

peter345 wrote:Is that already on a road map?
No.

The main focus for QCad 3 is to improve on:

* performance
* memory usage
* flexibility (scripting)
* compatibility with other products (mainly through DWG support and improved DXF support)

After the QCad 3 release we will focus on adding substantial new functionality again.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Suggestions and Feedback”